From: l117593@cliffy.lfwc.lockheed.com (Cordes MJ)
Subject: Re: Computer beats Kasparov
Date: 1996/02/17
Date: 1996-02-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Stuart Gascoyne (100525.632@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Whats this got to do with Ada? You ask. Well it used to be
: asserted that a computer could never beat a human being at chess.
: Then when that was disproved it was asserted that a computer
: could never beat the best human chess players. Wrong.

: Recently it was asserted in this newsgroup that a computer
: (compiler) could never best a human at writing assembly language.
: Even those that favoured high level languages over assembler
: conceded this point.

: Why can't a compiler produce better assembly language than a
: human? What is so intractable about the problem of writing
: assembly language that prevents it ever being computable?

: And what is meant by a human assembler programmer? Is it intended
: to mean a grandmaster, a good club player or even one at
: schoolboy level. Or is it only the very best assembler
: programmer?

: Look to your laurels guys.

: --
: Stuart Gascoyne
: gascoyne@tartan.com

Does Deep Blue come in an Ada VMS/1750A cross compilation flavor? :-)

Your point is true, but if I start to look too far ahead I'll see auto
code generators which write "grand master" code for compilers which write
"grand master" machine code. I can see the ad now:

  Wanted: real-time embedded Ada programmer to work night shift
  at 7-11 store. Great benifits.

:-) Mike

Michael J Cordes
Phone: (817) 935-3823