From: "DuckE" <nospam_steved94@home.com>
Subject: Re: Running x86 Linux GNAT on MacOS under Virtual PC
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:06:08 GMT
Date: 2001-08-02T13:06:08+00:00	[thread overview]

"David Starner" <dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org> wrote in message
news:9kakis$gt8$1@news-central.tiac.net...
> DuckE <nospam_steved94@home.com> wrote in message
> > Don't hold your breath on GNAT sources merging with GCC, this has been
on
> > the "very soon now" list for quite some time.
>
> But it went from "We're working on doing this" to "Any day now" just a
> couple months ago.

Here is a posting from this newsgroup dated November 19, 1999:

  In article <38359C2A.D80F50C5@worldnet.fr>,
    Stephane Carrez <stcarrez@worldnet.fr> wrote:
  > Hi!
  >
  > Does anybody know if Gnat 3.12 has been ported to GCC 2.95?

  GNAT 3.12 is not compatible with GCC 2.95, and a lot of work
  would be required to build a version of 3.12 with this version
  of GCC. Furthermore it would not work well, there are a
  significant number of GCC bugs that are fixed in the Ada
  Core patched version of GCC 2.8.1 that are not yet fixed
  in GCC 2.95.

  The plan is that everything will be merged for GCC 3.0, and
  at that point GNAT will be compatible with the new GCC 3.0.
  Richard Kenner has merged most of the GCC 2.8.1 stuff into
  the new GCC tree, so we are getting nearer to this point.

When I read this, and a few postings that followed, it was my impression
GNAT
would be merged into GCC before summer of 2000.  Guess what.

Like I said, don't hold your breath.  I wouldn't be suprised if it didn't
show up
until summer 2002.

SteveD