From: Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Ncurses and Ada
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:23:40 +0100
Date: 2012-03-12T17:23:41+01:00	[thread overview]

On 12.03.12 15:33, Simon Wright wrote:
> Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de> writes:
>
>> According to $(man hier), an Ada compiler's spec files would not
>> normally be counted among UNIX System Resources, specifically not in
>> /usr/include, and since /usr/share seems to be the place for
>> architecture independent files, the current paths seem o.K. to me.
>
> I don't have a Linux box immediately to hand, but Apple seem to think
> it's OK to include Tcl & Python (neither of which is mentioned in `man
> hier`, any more than Ada is) in /usr/include.

The header files seem to be mostly for interfacing to the language
(or library). Objective-C has its "objc" subdirectory, too. So do PHP
and some "system components".

Still, the bulk of what (I think) would correspond to the Ada RTS,
or AWS or Ada libraries in general lives in
/System/Library/Frameworks/{Tcl,Python}.framework/Versions,
alongside Cocoa, Ruby, IOKit, LDAP, ...

I'd nevertheless hope to find, in an "ada" subdirectory of /usr/include,
Ada related header files for cross language programming.
For example,if GNAT is a system compiler, one might then write

#include <ada/lifecycle.h>

and then the C compiler knows about functions (ultimately) named

  void adainit (void);
  void adafinal (void);

Thus, if other compilers have a comparable mechanism, the ARG could bless
names of functions controlling it, and programs that call Ada parts
from C parts would be made portable by including the system header.

Once Apple considers Ada part of the system, they will have done it
for us ;-)