From: Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Ada on iPhone
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:26:01 +0100
Date: 2012-01-20T19:26:01+01:00	[thread overview]

On 20.01.12 17:37, Bill Findlay wrote:

> I'd love to run my KDF9 emulator on my iPhone,

There might be two options:

1) to write the controller objects in Ada, preferably with
as little run-time support needed as possible; an ARM
compiler is around, though I don't know whether that's
good enough for iOS devices' ARMs. And I don't know
whether it is easy to integrate compilers with Apple's build
tools. (And I don't know whether Apple will say that
using a compiler for a different language violates a
rule allegedly enforcing C and Objective-C.
OTOH, programmers (and others) can install anything on
their own phones.)

2) to employ SofCheck's compiler which can output C...
If I still had the money lying around (thought it was quite
reasonable then, for a license and essentially no expectation
as to support), I'd just go for it.

> <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/about/history/photogallery/pages/1968-1.htm>

When "I/O subsystem" becomes much more obvious! :)

That biggest cabinet I had seen and heard working was about a tenth
the size only. It had a quite effective hair dryer, through.