From: Mark Murray <w.h.oami@example.com>
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Gnu ADA onto FreeBSD/AMD64-CURRENT
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:28:45 +0100
Date: 2011-10-24T19:28:45+01:00	[thread overview]

On 24/10/2011 17:23, jrmarino wrote:
> GNAT-AUX is basically the latest released GNAT FSF compiler.
> Currently it's 4.6.1, soon to be 4.6.2.  However, when gcc 4.7.0 is
> released and gnat-aux is verified to be error-free, it will be
> transitioned to gcc 4.7.
> So...
> A) You're basically re-inventing the wheel

*BLUSH* OK :-)

> B) You're going to be missing some vital patches.  I still haven't
> forwarded necessary FreeBSD patches back the gcc project.  Any stock
> build of gnat-gcc on FreeBSD is going to have issues.

Gotcha. Thanks!

> C) There's no reason to bootstrap with an old gnat, gnat-aux is modern
> so this is the compiler you should use to build this stock 4.7.

Fair enough!

Thanks for pointing that out.

How hard would it be to incerease the number of languages it supports?
I'm hoping "not" :-). In order to avoid a proliferation of GCC builds,
I'd like to stick to one, where possible. I've had too many issues in
the past with various compiler builds jumping all over each other. A
smaller issue is simply trying to keep my ports count down; GCC is a
big build and in my infrequent "build world" + "rebuild all ports"
runs, "rebuild all ports" takes WWWAAAYYY longer than the OS itself!

Big win; if gnat-aux were to support Fortran (used a fair bit) and
Java (nice to have) or if the gcc46 port were to "grow" gnat-aux type
support, I'd be delighted!

Am I making overly lofty demands yet? ;-)

No worries; now that I know where to look, I'm sure I can come up with
a better plan to the previous one.

Thanks for your help!

Mark "No Nickname" Murray
Notable nebbish, extreme generalist.