* gtkada working on a Ubuntu Machine.... ??&##?!!!!
@ 2014-10-03 15:06 Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-03 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again,

I am wondering if someone can give me some pointers on the best way to
get gtkada properly installed. On either windows or Ubuntu.
I have run the program below on a Ubuntu 12.04 box, and get the message
file "gtkada.ads" not found. error message and sample program below.

I was never really confident the installation was done correctly. As the
ubuntu software centre already has some components installed or my
meddling, and I may have doubled up with a download from Adacore. Was it
done in the correct order and with correct paths etc set.

Any suggestion on what to check first?

gnatmake -d -P/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001project.gpr
gcc-4.6 -c -I- -gnatA /home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb
test1001.adb:1:06: file "gtkada.ads" not found
gnatmake: "/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb" compilation error

[2014-10-03 18:20:40] process exited with status 4 (elapsed time: 00.10s)

------------------------------------
with gtkada;

--Test1001.adb
procedure test1001 is

begin
   null;
end;

* Re: gtkada working on a Ubuntu Machine.... ??&##?!!!!
@ 2014-10-03 16:11 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-10-03 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 15:06:38 GMT, Phil wrote:

> I am wondering if someone can give me some pointers on the best way to
> get gtkada properly installed.

Depends on the Gtk version. Normally, you get the packages and install
them. That's all.

> On either windows or Ubuntu.

For Windows the latest public GtkAda + Gtk is in the GNAT GPL 2014.

Is Ubuntu a Debian clone? Then you install Debian's Gtk and GtkAda
packages.

Make sure you are using same Gtk version on all platforms, because Gtk 2.x
is incompatible with Gtk 3.x. [ GNAT GPL 2014 comes with Gtk 3.8. ]

> I have run the program below on a Ubuntu 12.04 box, and get the message
> file "gtkada.ads" not found. error message and sample program below.
>
> I was never really confident the installation was done correctly. As the
> ubuntu software centre already has some components installed or my
> meddling, and I may have doubled up with a download from Adacore. Was it
> done in the correct order and with correct paths etc set.
>
> Any suggestion on what to check first?
>
> gnatmake -d -P/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001project.gpr
> gcc-4.6 -c -I- -gnatA /home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb
> test1001.adb:1:06: file "gtkada.ads" not found
> gnatmake: "/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb" compilation error

Check if the project refers to gtkada.gpr or the corresponding one of the
installation. Antique versions used gtkada2.gpr, if I correctly remember.
GCC 4.6 is pretty ancient for Debian. Should be 4.8 if not 4.9 already.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: gtkada working on a Ubuntu Machine.... ??&##?!!!!
@ 2014-10-06 20:45 ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2014-10-06 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, October 3, 2014 11:06:39 AM UTC-4, Phil wrote:
> Hello again,
>

> I am wondering if someone can give me some pointers on the best way to
>
> get gtkada properly installed. On either windows or Ubuntu.
>
> I have run the program below on a Ubuntu 12.04 box, and get the message
>
> file "gtkada.ads" not found. error message and sample program below.
>

> I was never really confident the installation was done correctly. As the
>
> ubuntu software centre already has some components installed or my
>
> meddling, and I may have doubled up with a download from Adacore. Was it
>
> done in the correct order and with correct paths etc set.
>

> Any suggestion on what to check first?
>

> gnatmake -d -P/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001project.gpr
>
> gcc-4.6 -c -I- -gnatA /home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb
>
> test1001.adb:1:06: file "gtkada.ads" not found
>
> gnatmake: "/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb" compilation error
>

> [2014-10-03 18:20:40] process exited with status 4 (elapsed time: 00.10s)
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> with gtkada;
>

> --Test1001.adb
>
> procedure test1001 is
>

> begin
>
>    null;
>
> end;

You probably need to be careful about packages.  AdaCore's GNAT is different
from Debian's packages.  The treatment of configuration management has centralized control on the four usual Linux versions including Debian - Ubuntu;
AdaCore's GNAT follows a different model where the compilation units have
metadata.  The usual package managers do the metadata on the Linux distribution
packages, which almost certainly have coarser granularity than AdaCore.
There's the additional complexity of which release is being used by the
package maintainers.  It's a complex business.

Bruce B.

* Re: gtkada working on a Ubuntu Machine.... ??&##?!!!!
@ 2014-10-14 15:30   ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-14 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 18:11:36 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 15:06:38 GMT, Phil wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if someone can give me some pointers on the best way to
>> get gtkada properly installed.
>
> Depends on the Gtk version. Normally, you get the packages and install
> them. That's all.
>
>> On either windows or Ubuntu.
>
> For Windows the latest public GtkAda + Gtk is in the GNAT GPL 2014.
>
> Is Ubuntu a Debian clone? Then you install Debian's Gtk and GtkAda
> packages.

Ubuntu is based on debian.

> Make sure you are using same Gtk version on all platforms, because Gtk
> 2.x is incompatible with Gtk 3.x. [ GNAT GPL 2014 comes with Gtk 3.8. ]

Thanks for the tip, will be useful later.

> Check if the project refers to gtkada.gpr or the corresponding one of
> the installation. Antique versions used gtkada2.gpr, if I correctly
> remember. GCC 4.6 is pretty ancient for Debian. Should be 4.8 if not 4.9
> already.

I have started a new thread, with more information. Is the gtkada.gpr
still worth checking?

When I wrote software a long time ago, we never used gtkada style stuff.
It was an embedded system. Text based screen!
Thanks for your answers so far.

* Re: gtkada working on a Ubuntu Machine.... ??&##?!!!!
@ 2014-10-19 21:24 ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2014-10-19 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, October 3, 2014 11:06:39 AM UTC-4, Phil wrote:
> Hello again,
>

> I am wondering if someone can give me some pointers on the best way to
>
> get gtkada properly installed. On either windows or Ubuntu.
>
> I have run the program below on a Ubuntu 12.04 box, and get the message
>
> file "gtkada.ads" not found. error message and sample program below.
>

> I was never really confident the installation was done correctly. As the
>
> ubuntu software centre already has some components installed or my
>
> meddling, and I may have doubled up with a download from Adacore. Was it
>
> done in the correct order and with correct paths etc set.
>

> Any suggestion on what to check first?
>

> gnatmake -d -P/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001project.gpr
>
> gcc-4.6 -c -I- -gnatA /home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb
>
> test1001.adb:1:06: file "gtkada.ads" not found
>
> gnatmake: "/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb" compilation error
>

> [2014-10-03 18:20:40] process exited with status 4 (elapsed time: 00.10s)
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> with gtkada;
>

> --Test1001.adb
>
> procedure test1001 is
>

> begin
>
>    null;
>
> end;

I was off on "vacation" installing AdaCore GNAT GPL on an Intel Atom
(64-bit, dual core).  I'll see if I can check on the GTK stuff when I
get time.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Debian/Ubuntu packages don't
act in the same way as things that AdaCore supplies.

Bruce B.