From: "R. Tyler Croy" <tyler@linux.com>
Subject: Re: Paraffin: Parallelism generics for Ada 2005
Date: 26 Jan 2011 04:50:10 GMT
Date: 2011-01-26T04:50:10+00:00	[thread overview]

Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Le Wed, 26 Jan 2011 02:53:39 +0100, Brad Moore <brad.moore@shaw.ca> a
> écrit:
>> No particular reason, I suppose. This is my first release of a project
>> on source forge. I checked out several other Ada open source projects,
>> and that seemed to be the approach taken elsewhere. If it makes sense to
>> release in another manner, I am open to considering that. One issue I
>> think with releasing in a public version control system, is choosing
>> which one. There are a number of them out there.
> You can safely keep going with a single archive: that's handy for every
> one (no need for a repository war the same there was a browser war). Also
> an archive is better suited for personal storage (at the user side) than a
> versioning system is. Unless one plan to be involved in the development, a
> versioning system tree is more uselessly-heavy and encumbered than useful.

O_o

I've heard a lot of things, but I don't think I've ever heard an argument
against version control before!

I personally don't care which kind of repository somebody uses, but I've found
myself after very weary of the "just download this tarball" approach after
years of finding interesting looking projects which have stagnated and become
completely out of date that have no publicly visible source history (student or
university projects are notoriously bad on this).

I don't mean to get too far off-topic, to each their own, I just find it odd
that one would go through the trouble of creating a SourceForge project just to
distribute tarballs.

--
- R. Tyler Croy