From: Georg Bauhaus <rm-host.bauhaus@maps.futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: A few questions on Ada and Ada implementations
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:04:43 +0100
Date: 2010-12-19T22:04:44+01:00	[thread overview]

On 12/19/10 12:21 AM, Kulin Remailer wrote:

> What Ada toolchains are available for 64 bit Linux that can be used to
> generate 32 or 64 bit Linux/UNIX executables that are in a hobbyist's price
> range (let's say up to 1000 USD).

The Windows edition of Aonix/Atego's ObjectAda compiler used to be
in this range for non-big-project use. (Not sure about word size.)
Maybe they can arrange for a GNU/Linux edition, too, if you explain
the matter.

AdaMagic by SofCheck might be available on similar terms, provided you
don't want a support contract.  (It produces C as the backend language,
ironically; word size might thus depend on what the C compiler will
produce.)

> Do they include their own GUI libraries?

ObjectAda has typical traditional Unix GUI bindings,
I think, but I don't know first hand.

> Basically I want to know what kind of investment I need to make to have an
> unencumbered Ada95 toolchain with all the features I need to write and
> deploy general applications without having to go fishing for libraries.

All compilers I know are available on licensing terms
and conditions.  Almost none requires that your sources
will have to be made available to recipients of your
binaries, including FSF GNAT's.