* Attn: Ludovic, on Debian Ada
@ 2008-02-26 12:14 Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2008-02-26 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Ludovic,

I have thought for some time that I would like to add my binding
player-ada [1] to Debian, and I think this will take some degree of
implication on my part. It would be great if you could send me some
pointers on what would be needed and how to get started. We can move
this to mail if you prefer (alejandro [a] mosteo · com)

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/ada-player

* Re: Attn: Ludovic, on Debian Ada
@ 2008-02-26 13:51 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-02-26 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex R. Mosteo wrote:
> I have thought for some time that I would like to add my binding
> player-ada [1] to Debian, and I think this will take some degree of
> implication on my part. It would be great if you could send me some
> pointers on what would be needed and how to get started. We can move
> this to mail if you prefer (alejandro [a] mosteo · com)

Great idea. As I have said many times, I will help anyone interested
in packaging Ada things in Debian and even sponsor your packages.
We'll take the details off-line, of course, but here are pointers to
get you started.

As a prerequisite, you need a GPG or PGP key[1] signed by at least one
Debian developer[2]. I suggest this as your first step, as setting up
a physical meeting with a DD might take some time. In the mean time,
of course, don't let that stop you from starting your packaging.

[1] GPG mini-HOWTO: http://www.dewinter.com/gnupg_howto/english/GPGMiniHowto.html
[2] Debian Key Signing Coordination page: https://nm.debian.org/gpg.php

Then dive into the technicalities:

[3] Debian New Maintainer's Guide: http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
[4] Work-Needing and Prospective Packages: http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
[5] Debian Policy for Ada: http://www.ada-france.org/debian/debian-ada-policy.html
[6] Packaging scripts for all of my packages: http://www.ada-france.org/article131.html

OpenToken and TextTools are very simple packages you may want to look
at for inspiration.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Attn: Ludovic, on Debian Ada
@ 2008-02-26 19:08   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-02-26 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also: as the time and effort needed to make your first Debian package
is significant, it is best to reuse that investment over several
packages.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Attn: Ludovic, on Debian Ada
@ 2008-02-27 11:03     ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2008-02-27 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Also: as the time and effort needed to make your first Debian package
> is significant, it is best to reuse that investment over several
> packages.

Thank you for these references, I'll read through them in the near
future and report when ready.