* Re: Global scope for instantiated generic package? - Solved!
@ 2010-09-06  1:31 Trogdor
From: Trogdor @ 2010-09-06  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to all who read and responded.  I think I figured it out.

1) My first problem was getting the correct name of the package.
All of my texts (which turned out to be for Ada 83) used
"Integer_IO" as the generic package in their examples.  Under GNAT
the package is Ada.Text_IO.Integer_IO.  Your examples got me
thinking on those lines and I examined the package specs to get the
correct name.  I have also ordered newer Ada 95 books :-).

2) There was an issue with nesting packages.  I was able to
instantiate BigInt within my existing package and then refference it
with BigInt.put, etc.  It may also be possible to make it directly
visable by creating a packge spec which instantiates the generic,
but does not use a "package name is".  Gnat appears to have done
that.  But I am satisfied with the first method.

3) I am now going through all of GNAT's package specs to see what
treasures might be hidden there.  If nothing else, that should get
me good Ada Karma. :-)

Thanks again to all.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

* Re: Global scope for instantiated generic package? - Solved!
@ 2010-09-06  9:03 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2010-09-06  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06.09.10 03:31, Trogdor wrote:

> 3) I am now going through all of GNAT's package specs to see what
> treasures might be hidden there.  If nothing else, that should get
> me good Ada Karma. :-)

A good selection of packages, if you haven't made one yet, might be
just the ones whose names start with "Ada" (and don't have "Aux" in
their names).  GNAT offers many packages whose names start with "GNAT".
These are compiler specific, and not available with other compilers.
(That is not to say they aren't useful!)  Also, the "System" hierarchy
of packages is compiler specific to a greater extent.

Georg