From: jrmarino <dragonlace.cla@marino.st>
Subject: Re: Ada on Android?
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:51:52 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-09-07T22:51:52-07:00	[thread overview]

On Sep 8, 2:18 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...@stephe-leake.org>
wrote:
> jrmarino <dragonlace....@marino.st> writes:

> >> I haven't looked, but is there a script or instruction to build a cross
> >> for Android somewhere?
>
> >> Pascal.
>
> > Pascal,
> > Only the GNAT-AUX repository has the necessary patches to build GNAT
> > for Android.
>
> This is ambiguous. Android is an operating system; you also need to
> specify the machine when talking about cross compilers.
>
> As far as I can tell, GNAT-AUX only targets the ARM machine.
>
> > Unless somebody duplicates my work, any new android cross-compiler
> > would have use this codebase.
>
> I see no reason why the GNAT GPL 2011 jvm target should not work for
> Android (except for the bugs I'm complaining about, of course. but they
> are at a different level of detail :).
>
> --
> -- Stephe

Stephe, you're talking apples to oranges.
We're talking about building native Ada applications which (like
native C/C++ applications) could utilize the Android API for windows,
accelerator sensor access, etc.  The binding with those libraries
still need to be made, and you need to wrap in the xml manifests
described in the "nativeactivity" capability that was introduced with
Android 2.3.

You're talking about building the apps in the Java VM I think, and
that's just an entirely different approach.

GNAT-AUX specifically targets x86, x86_64 on four BSDs and Solaris,
and ARM on Android.  It will very likely work on other platforms
(namely Linux) and even other processors, but that is just a carryover
from gcc and it's not tested.
Stock GCC/GNAT can not be built for Android/ARM, although it should
work fine for Linux/ARM.

John