From: "Peter C. Chapin" <pcc482719@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: SPARK - an idea for high integrity data structures
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:07:18 -0400
Date: 2010-07-20T15:07:18-04:00	[thread overview]

On 2010-07-20 08:40, Phil Thornley wrote:

> I have had a hobby project for a while to create SPARK versions of
> data structures, supported by partial proofs of correctness.

I can't comment right now on the approaches you mentioned, but I think
in general it's a great idea to work up some SPARK versions of classic
data structures (with proofs at some reasonable level). An open source
high integrity collections library would be a great contribution, it
seems to me.

Alas right now SPARK's limitations regarding generics seems like a bit
of a show stopper. Users would have to manually specialize each data
structure and re-do the proofs. Of course that would be easier than
building the code from scratch.

I know Praxis is working on generics support in SPARK. Once that was
ready it probably wouldn't be too hard for the original author of a high
integrity collections library to generalize the code as appropriate. At
least that would be my hope.

Peter