From: Georg Bauhaus <rm-host.bauhaus@maps.futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Migrating to Ada : a mini success story
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 02:09:48 +0100
Date: 2010-02-14T02:09:48+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2/13/10 11:04 PM, Hibou57 (Yannick Duchï¿œne) wrote:
> Hello once again,
>
> Here is a new quote about Ada, in another interesting context (no more
> LP this time) :
> http://gmarceau.qc.ca/blog/2009/05/speed-size-and-dependability-of.html

Do you think source text size, not weighted, is a meaningful measure?
What is its meaning?

OCaml is remarkably close to (short, fast) there. Looking at the OCaml
Shootout programs, the OCaml cultr sms t favr sqizn vwls o of pgms,
nst funs a l+, & uz mth w.

I'm curious if OCaml will perform closer to Ada regarding source
size in case programs use full words for functions, most variables,
constants and so on, fewer embedded lambdas, etc.
(The measurement procedure for code size at the Shootout seems to
be this:
"We started with the source-code markup you can see, removed comments,
removed duplicate whitespace characters, and then applied minimum GZip
compression. The Code-used measurement is the size in bytes of that
GZip compressed source-code file."
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/help.php#gzbytes )