* Migrating to Ada : a mini success story
@ 2010-02-13 22:04 Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2010-02-13 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello once again,

Here is a new quote about Ada, in another interesting context (no more LP
this time) :
http://gmarceau.qc.ca/blog/2009/05/speed-size-and-dependability-of.html

Lanny wrote (2009 dated, so let suppose it was Ada 2005):
> Several years ago, I was doing a one-programmer job to move a large
> medical-laboratory instrumentation control from DIBOL to Ada. I was
> using the open-source GNAT Ada compiler and the DIBOL compiler from
> Synergex, as I had to maintain the old DIBOL program while writing
> its replacement in Ada. Unfortunately, the project was canceled
> after three months of work when the laboratory was sold, but I was
> able to compare DIBOL and Ada with respect to the time needed to
> find and fix a bug, and Ada was a huge win. Most DIBOL bugs took a
> full day to run down, and the worst-case bugs required 4 days to run
> down. During the same three months, the large majority of Ada bugs
> were found and fixed in 15 minutes or less, and the most difficult
> one took 4 hours.

The interesting context, is that this comment was one after an article
containing interesting graphic charts comparing some measurable language
characteristics. Unfortunately, Ada is not part of any of these charts,
but there is this comment, and the charts which may be nice for your own
knowledge anyway.

--
No-no, this isn't an oops ...or I hope (TM) - Don't blame me... I'm just
not lucky