* Issues building testgtk on Debian Lenny/Sid
@ 2008-09-04  3:35 deadlyhead
From: deadlyhead @ 2008-09-04  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm learning GtkAda at the moment and currently I'm looking to build
testgtk.  I've gotten through the compilation and binding stages, but
now on link I get the following:

gnatbind -aI/usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2 -aO/usr/lib/adalib/
gtkada2 -I- -x /home/deadlyhead/temp/sources/GtkAda/testgtk/obj/
testgtk.ali
gnatlink /home/deadlyhead/temp/sources/GtkAda/testgtk/obj/testgtk.ali -
L/usr/lib -lgtkada2 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -
lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lfontconfig -lXext -lXrender -
lXinerama -lXi -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXfixes -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lX11 -
lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -o /home/deadlyhead/temp/
sources/GtkAda/testgtk/testgtk
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkada_gl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
gnatmake: *** link failed.

I feel like this should be dead simple, but honestly, I've never fully
understood how ld works.  In /usr/lib, I have both libgtkada_gl.so.
2.12.0 and libgtkada_gl.a, plus all of the symlinks one would expect,
but ld just will not pick up on them.  I've run ldconfig and
everything, but the error persists.  I must be missing something here,
but I'm at a loss.

I'm currently using libgtkada2.12 from Debian Sid, with all of the
necessary libraries such as the mesa libs and libgtkada_gl2.12.
Everything that has a -dev package has had it installed.  What could I
be missing?

* Re: Issues building testgtk on Debian Lenny/Sid
@ 2008-09-04  7:53 ` deadlyhead
From: deadlyhead @ 2008-09-04  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 3, 11:35 pm, deadlyhead <deadlyh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm learning GtkAda at the moment and currently I'm looking to build
> testgtk.  I've gotten through the compilation and binding stages, but
> now on link I get the following:
>
> gnatbind -aI/usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2 -aO/usr/lib/adalib/
> gtkada2 -I- -x /home/deadlyhead/temp/sources/GtkAda/testgtk/obj/
> testgtk.ali
> gnatlink /home/deadlyhead/temp/sources/GtkAda/testgtk/obj/testgtk.ali -
> L/usr/lib -lgtkada2 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -
> lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lfontconfig -lXext -lXrender -
> lXinerama -lXi -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXfixes -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lX11 -
> lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -o /home/deadlyhead/temp/
> sources/GtkAda/testgtk/testgtk
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkada_gl
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
> gnatmake: *** link failed.
>
> I feel like this should be dead simple, but honestly, I've never fully
> understood how ld works.  In /usr/lib, I have both libgtkada_gl.so.
> 2.12.0 and libgtkada_gl.a, plus all of the symlinks one would expect,
> but ld just will not pick up on them.  I've run ldconfig and
> everything, but the error persists.  I must be missing something here,
> but I'm at a loss.
>
> I'm currently using libgtkada2.12 from Debian Sid, with all of the
> necessary libraries such as the mesa libs and libgtkada_gl2.12.
> Everything that has a -dev package has had it installed.  What could I
> be missing?

Alright, so I got it all to compile.  I don't know what it was, but I
went ahead and did a gnatclean, plus removed all the object files
generated from C code.  I then recompiled the C code by hand, ran
gnatmake -Ptestgtk.gpr `gtkada-config`, and then linked by hand at the
end.  Everything works just fine, now.

Still, I'm confused as hell.

* Re: Issues building testgtk on Debian Lenny/Sid
@ 2008-09-04  8:25   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-09-04  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

deadlyhead wrote:
> Alright, so I got it all to compile.  I don't know what it was, but I
> went ahead and did a gnatclean, plus removed all the object files
> generated from C code.  I then recompiled the C code by hand, ran
> gnatmake -Ptestgtk.gpr `gtkada-config`, and then linked by hand at the
> end.  Everything works just fine, now.
>
> Still, I'm confused as hell.

Have you read /usr/share/doc/libgtkada2-dev/README.Debian and followed
the instructions therein for building testgtk? Theoretically it should
take care of everything for you, even linking with libgtkada2_gl.so.

--
Ludovic Brenta.