* RESTful web API using AWS?
@ 2011-08-17 11:51 p34cekeeper
From: p34cekeeper @ 2011-08-17 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm currently tasked with developing a RESTful web API as a font-end
for what amounts to a bunch of bog-standard RDB operations. I'm
currently using PHP, which, as it stands is making me feel ill.

While investigating other (more orthogonal) technology choices
(erlang, Scala, etc.), I happened to come across Ada Web Server. I
suppose my question is: is AWS up to the job? Has anyone here done
this before?

It seems to me like AWS' dispatcher mechanisms are ideal for this
purpose, because they don't make assumptions about what you want to do
with the incoming HTTP request (I'm tired of frameworks that force you
into a ham-fisted, code generating MVC implementation).

Any input from experienced Ada engineers would be greatly appreciated.

* Re: RESTful web API using AWS?
@ 2011-08-17 12:43 ` Georg Bauhaus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2011-08-17 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17.08.11 13:51, p34cekeeper wrote:

> Any input from experienced Ada engineers would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest asking on the low volume mailing list, too.

There AWS paper written by J.-P. Rosen might be of interest,
if you haven't seen it yet.
It was recently linked from  http://www.reddit.com/r/ada/

* Re: RESTful web API using AWS?
@ 2011-08-17 13:14 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-08-17 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

p34cekeeper wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> I'm currently tasked with developing a RESTful web API as a font-end
> for what amounts to a bunch of bog-standard RDB operations. I'm
> currently using PHP, which, as it stands is making me feel ill.
>
> While investigating other (more orthogonal) technology choices
> (erlang, Scala, etc.), I happened to come across Ada Web Server. I
> suppose my question is: is AWS up to the job? Has anyone here done
> this before?
>
> It seems to me like AWS' dispatcher mechanisms are ideal for this
> purpose, because they don't make assumptions about what you want to do
> with the incoming HTTP request (I'm tired of frameworks that force you
> into a ham-fisted, code generating MVC implementation).
>
> Any input from experienced Ada engineers would be greatly appreciated.

The short ansewer is: yes.  Feel free to ask more specific questions
here or on the AWS mailing list.

Shameless_Plug : begin
AWS comes in source-only form; you have to compile and install it on
your development and on all your target machines.  In contrast,
Debian[1] contains the precompiled package libaws2.7-dev which takes
the hassle of installation and deployment away.  You might want to try
that for a _very_ quick installation of a complete Ada development
platform including compiler and lots of goodies.

[1] http://www.debian.org
end Shameless_Plug;

--
Ludovic Brenta.
The resource credibly strategizes our optionality, while the human

* Re: RESTful web API using AWS?
@ 2011-08-17 13:18   ` p34cekeeper
From: p34cekeeper @ 2011-08-17 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 17, 1:43 pm, Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauh...@futureapps.de>
wrote:

> There AWS paper written by J.-P. Rosen might be of interest,
> if you haven't seen it yet.
> It was recently linked from  http://www.reddit.com/r/ada/

Absolutely fantastic, exactly what I was looking for. Should have
occurred to me to check reddit, heh. Thanks a lot.

* Re: RESTful web API using AWS?
@ 2011-08-17 13:59   ` p34cekeeper
From: p34cekeeper @ 2011-08-17 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Lodovic. Funnily enough, I am using debian as we speak (debian will be the deployment platform).

I'll check that out right now.

* Re: RESTful web API using AWS?
@ 2011-08-17 15:33     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-08-17 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

p34cekeeper wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Thanks, Lodovic. Funnily enough, I am using debian as we speak
> (debian will be the deployment platform).
>
> I'll check that out right now.

Good. You'll also be interested in the packages libgnadesqlite3-1-dev,
libgnadeodbc1-dev and libapq-postgresql1-dev, which contain Ada
bindings to SQLite, UnixODBC and PostgreSQL respectively.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
A right stress management culturally prioritizes the team players.

* Re: RESTful web API using AWS?
@ 2011-08-17 16:01 ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2011-08-17 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

p34cekeeper wrote:

> I'm currently tasked with developing a RESTful web API as a font-end
> for what amounts to a bunch of bog-standard RDB operations. I'm
> currently using PHP, which, as it stands is making me feel ill.
>
> While investigating other (more orthogonal) technology choices
> (erlang, Scala, etc.), I happened to come across Ada Web Server. I
> suppose my question is: is AWS up to the job? Has anyone here done
> this before?

Just to add another success history for your peace of mind. I've not done
web APIs with AWS, but two interfaces to quite different programs (one p2p,
other mobile robotics), and AWS is of outstanding quality. Particularly if
you like Ada, it's a no-brainer choice.

Alex.

@ 2011-08-18 13:40       ` Marcelo Coraça de Freitas
From: Marcelo Coraça de Freitas @ 2011-08-18 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 17, 12:33 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org>
wrote:
> Good. You'll also be interested in the packages libgnadesqlite3-1-dev,
> libgnadeodbc1-dev and libapq-postgresql1-dev, which contain Ada
> bindings to SQLite, UnixODBC and PostgreSQL respectively.

There is also APQ for MySQL and ct_lib (Sybase/SQL Server) in Debian
repositories IIRC.

As using AWS for RESTful API, I have some experience in developing it
myself. It's awesome not to be forced
to link to a file or something of the sorts. You can organize your
code as you wish.

If you want to work with json data, take a look at the KOW Lib project
at http://framework.kow.com.br.
There is KOW_Lib.Json, which I have been using for quite some time
now.

Happy coding! :)

* Re: RESTful web API using AWS?
@ 2011-08-18 14:29         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-08-18 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcelo Coraça de Freitas wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> Good. You'll also be interested in the packages libgnadesqlite3-1-dev,
>> libgnadeodbc1-dev and libapq-postgresql1-dev, which contain Ada
>> bindings to SQLite, UnixODBC and PostgreSQL respectively.
>
> There is also APQ for MySQL and ct_lib (Sybase/SQL Server) in Debian
> repositories IIRC.

No, not in Debian unfortunately.  Adrian-Ken Ruegsegger has only
packaged apq and apq-postgresql so far; the other modules are only
available from upstream[1] ATM.

[1] http://framework.kow.com.br/

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: RESTful web API using AWS?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-10-11 15:17 ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2012-10-11 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:51:18 PM UTC+8, p34cekeeper wrote:
> I'm currently tasked with developing a RESTful web API as a font-end
> for what amounts to a bunch of bog-standard RDB operations. I'm
> currently using PHP, which, as it stands is making me feel ill.
>
> While investigating other (more orthogonal) technology choices
> (erlang, Scala, etc.), I happened to come across Ada Web Server. I
> suppose my question is: is AWS up to the job? Has anyone here done
> this before?
>
> It seems to me like AWS' dispatcher mechanisms are ideal for this
> purpose, because they don't make assumptions about what you want to do
> with the incoming HTTP request (I'm tired of frameworks that force you
> into a ham-fisted, code generating MVC implementation).
>
> Any input from experienced Ada engineers would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I'm developing both web application servers and RESTful web API servers using AWS. Codes written in Ada are more maintainable than anything else especially when your apps are big.

I strongly recommend. Cheers.
--
Adrian Hoe