From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: RESTful web API using AWS?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 06:14:56 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-08-17T06:14:56-07:00	[thread overview]

p34cekeeper wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> I'm currently tasked with developing a RESTful web API as a font-end
> for what amounts to a bunch of bog-standard RDB operations. I'm
> currently using PHP, which, as it stands is making me feel ill.
>
> While investigating other (more orthogonal) technology choices
> (erlang, Scala, etc.), I happened to come across Ada Web Server. I
> suppose my question is: is AWS up to the job? Has anyone here done
> this before?
>
> It seems to me like AWS' dispatcher mechanisms are ideal for this
> purpose, because they don't make assumptions about what you want to do
> with the incoming HTTP request (I'm tired of frameworks that force you
> into a ham-fisted, code generating MVC implementation).
>
> Any input from experienced Ada engineers would be greatly appreciated.

The short ansewer is: yes.  Feel free to ask more specific questions
here or on the AWS mailing list.

Shameless_Plug : begin
AWS comes in source-only form; you have to compile and install it on
your development and on all your target machines.  In contrast,
Debian[1] contains the precompiled package libaws2.7-dev which takes
the hassle of installation and deployment away.  You might want to try
that for a _very_ quick installation of a complete Ada development
platform including compiler and lots of goodies.

[1] http://www.debian.org
end Shameless_Plug;

--
Ludovic Brenta.
The resource credibly strategizes our optionality, while the human