* Problem for testgtk build
@ 2009-09-09 12:14 Olivier Scalbert
From: Olivier Scalbert @ 2009-09-09 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all !

I want to build testgtk on my debian testing box and I have some problems.
I think I have installed all the necessary packages as I am able to
compile small gtkada applications.

I have untar testgtk.tar.gz.
I have read the README file, that told me to type 'make' after having
configured GtkAda.
As I have installed GtkAda with aptitude, I suppose that it is well
configured.

When I start 'make', I have:

ols@spock:~/projects/ada/testgtk$ make
Makefile:16: ../src/Makefile.common: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `../src/Makefile.common'.  Stop.

I should have miss something as I have no src directory ...

If I compile with gnatmake, everything compiles except view_gl.ads ..

ols@spock:~/projects/ada/testgtk$  gnatmake -Ptestgtk
gcc-4.3 -c -g -O1 -gnatafo -I- -gnatA
/home/ols/projects/ada/testgtk/opengl/view_gl.ads
cannot generate code for file view_gl.ads (package spec)
to check package spec for errors, use -gnatc
gnatmake: "/home/ols/projects/ada/testgtk/opengl/view_gl.ads"
compilation error

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Olivier

* Re: Problem for testgtk build
@ 2009-09-09 14:38 ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2009-09-09 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4aa79c75$0$2849$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>,
 Olivier Scalbert <olivier.scalbert@algosyn.com> wrote:

> I have untar testgtk.tar.gz. I have read the README file, that told
> me to type 'make' after having configured GtkAda. As I have installed
> GtkAda with aptitude, I suppose that it is well configured.

In this context, I think it means that you have run ./configure, which
is part the GNU Autotools. This is an initial step that creates the
actual Makfile(s) when building GtkAda from source.

Testgtk is typically installed in the shared examples directory:

$PREFIX/share/examples/gtkada/testgtk

[$PREFIX is wherever aptitude put GtkAda.]

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

* Re: Problem for testgtk build
@ 2009-09-09 15:01   ` Olivier Scalbert
From: Olivier Scalbert @ 2009-09-09 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

John B. Matthews wrote:
> In this context, I think it means that you have run ./configure, which
> is part the GNU Autotools. This is an initial step that creates the
> actual Makfile(s) when building GtkAda from source.
>
> Testgtk is typically installed in the shared examples directory:
>
> $PREFIX/share/examples/gtkada/testgtk
>
> [$PREFIX is wherever aptitude put GtkAda.]

Thanks John for helping me.
I do not want to build libgtkada as it is already installed !
I have succeed to compile small gtkada demos so everything should work.

I just want to build the complete testgtk project, but I see no
./configure under the testgtk directory.

@ 2009-09-09 16:28     ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2009-09-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4aa7c397$0$2859$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>,
 Olivier Scalbert <olivier.scalbert@algosyn.com> wrote:

> John B. Matthews wrote:
> > In this context, I think it means that you have run ./configure, which
> > is part the GNU Autotools. This is an initial step that creates the
> > actual Makfile(s) when building GtkAda from source.
> >
> > Testgtk is typically installed in the shared examples directory:
> >
> > $PREFIX/share/examples/gtkada/testgtk
> >
> > [$PREFIX is wherever aptitude put GtkAda.]
> >
> Thanks John for helping me.
> I do not want to build libgtkada as it is already installed !
> I have succeed to compile small gtkada demos so everything should work.
>
> I just want to build the complete testgtk project, but I see no
> ./configure under the testgtk directory.

I think I understand. The problem is that testgtk is not a standalone
project: the Makefile for testgtk doesn't exist until you run
./configure. First, check that it's not already installed in the shared
examples directory, as suggested above.

Failing that, you might be able to download the GtkAda source, run
./configure using the --prefix option to point to your existing
installation, then cd into testgtk to run the freshly minted Makefile.
You might also look at `./configure --help`.

I don't think you can hurt anything that `apt-get install` can't fix,
but there's a lot I don't know about Autotools. FWIW, here's my notes
for building GtkAda on Mac OS X:

<http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/gtk/lady.html>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

* Re: Problem for testgtk build
@ 2009-09-09 16:41 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-09-09 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier Scalbert wrote:
> Hello all !
>
> I want to build testgtk on my debian testing box and I have some problems.
> I think I have installed all the necessary packages as I am able to
> compile small gtkada applications.
>
> I have untar testgtk.tar.gz.
> I have read the README file, that told me to type 'make' after having
> configured GtkAda.
> As I have installed GtkAda with aptitude, I suppose that it is well
> configured.
>
> When I start 'make', I have:
>
> ols@spock:~/projects/ada/testgtk$ make
> Makefile:16: ../src/Makefile.common: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target `../src/Makefile.common'.  Stop.
>
> I should have miss something as I have no src directory ...
>
> If I compile with gnatmake, everything compiles except view_gl.ads ..
>
> ols@spock:~/projects/ada/testgtk$  gnatmake -Ptestgtk
> gcc-4.3 -c -g -O1 -gnatafo -I- -gnatA
> /home/ols/projects/ada/testgtk/opengl/view_gl.ads
> cannot generate code for file view_gl.ads (package spec)
> to check package spec for errors, use -gnatc
> gnatmake: "/home/ols/projects/ada/testgtk/opengl/view_gl.ads"
> compilation error
>
> Any ideas ?

Please read /usr/share/doc/libgtkada2-dev/README.Debian.  It contains
a specific "Note about testgtk" that explains the issue.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Problem for testgtk build
@ 2009-09-09 17:15   ` Olivier Scalbert
From: Olivier Scalbert @ 2009-09-09 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Please read /usr/share/doc/libgtkada2-dev/README.Debian.  It contains
> a specific "Note about testgtk" that explains the issue.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Ooops, I miss it !
Thanks Ludovic, it works now!