* Ada in Denmark and a Wiki article
@ 2009-09-07 11:52 Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2009-09-07 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey all,

For the past few years, Ada in Denmark has been without a website. This
is no longer the case, as http://ada-dk.org relaunched a few months ago.
Hopefully we will be able to attract more danish Ada programmers, now
that we're online again.

If you're a danish Ada programmer, please consider joining Ada in
Denmark:  http://ada-dk.org/?page=join

We'd love to have more members.

The new website comes with a Wiki. It is our goal to add
beginner-friendly articles to this Wiki, as time permits. The first
article is online and can be found at
http://wiki.ada-dk.org/index.php/Ada.Containers.Vectors

In case it isn't obvious from the above URL, this article is about the
Ada.Containers.Vectors package. The goal of the article is to *show*,
with actual code, beginners how the various procedures/functions in the
Vectors package work.

If there are any glaring mistakes in the article, please let me know,
and I'll fix them ASAP. Or you can just sign up, and add/remove/alter
the page as you wish. It is a Wiki after all.  :o)

Please bear in mind, that the article is still being edited by someone
with a much higher degree of proficiency in the english language (thanks
Dwight!) than me. My first language, naturally, is danish, so there's
bound to be quite a few errors in the text, as I struggle along with the
english language. Hopefully Dwight will have most of the errors cleared
away "soon".

--
Regards,
Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org
Web: http:ada-dk.org
IRC nick: ThomasLocke

* Re: Ada in Denmark and a Wiki article
@ 2009-09-07 13:53 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-09-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Løcke wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> The new website comes with a Wiki. It is our goal to add
> beginner-friendly articles to this Wiki, as time permits. The first
> article is online and can be found at http://wiki.ada-dk.org/index.php/Ada.Containers.Vectors

Nice but I think it would be better if the Ada in Denmark web site
would concentrate on subjects that are specifically Danish (and quite
possibly written in Danish, too; there is nothing wrong with that);
your nice page about Vectors is relevant to users of Ada outside
Denmark and is written in English, so I think this page should be in
the Ada Programming wikibook.

Anyway, you have my sympathy if that matters to you :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada in Denmark and a Wiki article
@ 2009-09-07 14:27   `
From:  @ 2009-09-07 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Nice but I think it would be better if the Ada in Denmark web site
> would concentrate on subjects that are specifically Danish (and quite
> possibly written in Danish, too; there is nothing wrong with that);

We talked about doing the website in danish, but decided on english, as
all danish programmers are fairly proficient in english, and if the site
is in english, other people can benefit from the content also. It's a
win/win situation. Had we done the website in danish, only very few
people would benefit from the content.

> your nice page about Vectors is relevant to users of Ada outside
> Denmark and is written in English, so I think this page should be in
> the Ada Programming wikibook.

When we planned the new website, we did discuss whether a new wiki was
necessary or if we should just link directly to, for example, the Ada
Programming wikibook, but we decided on going with our own, as we wanted
freedom to do whatever we liked, and we guessed (maybe wrongly) that
such freedom would not be possible, if we were to intrude on an already
active wiki.

With our own wiki, we can write whatever we want, however we want. And
if other people feel some of our content is good enough to be added to
for example the Ada Programming wikibook, then they are more than
welcome to grab the content in question and add it. Copy it, modify it,
use it. All content on the ada-dk.org wiki is made available under the
GFDL 1.3 license.

> Anyway, you have my sympathy if that matters to you :)

It does indeed matter. Thank you.  :o)

--
Regards,
Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org
Web: http:ada-dk.org

@ 2009-09-07 15:13     ` Tomek Wałkuski
From: Tomek Wałkuski @ 2009-09-07 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Site is great! (already bookmarked! ;) )

You have my sympathy too :)

* Re: Ada in Denmark and a Wiki article
@ 2009-09-07 15:49     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-09-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Løcke wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > your nice page about Vectors is relevant to users of Ada outside
> > Denmark and is written in English, so I think this page should be in
> > the Ada Programming wikibook.
>
> When we planned the new website, we did discuss whether a new wiki was
> necessary or if we should just link directly to, for example, the Ada
> Programming wikibook, but we decided on going with our own, as we wanted
> freedom to do whatever we liked, and we guessed (maybe wrongly) that
> such freedom would not be possible,

Yes, you guessed wrongly. Everyone is welcome to contribute to the Ada
Programming wikibook. The existing page about Vectors[1] is very short
and would benefit greatly from your work. Meanwhile, your page is
probably not the first place newbies would find when looking for
information whereas, even a few minutes ago, someone posted a question
right here on comp.lang.ada after reading the now well-known Wikibook.

[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Libraries/Ada.Containers.Vectors

> if we were to intrude on an already active wiki.

You have two people's sympathy already. You're not an intruder. And
the Ada Programming wiki is never active enough. :)

> With our own wiki, we can write whatever we want, however we want. And
> if other people feel some of our content is good enough to be added to
> for example the Ada Programming wikibook, then they are more than
> welcome to grab the content in question and add it. Copy it, modify it,
> use it. All content on the ada-dk.org wiki is made available under the
> GFDL 1.3 license.

That's called "duplication of effort" and "maintenance nightmare". Ada
was designed to maximize reuse and minimize the maintenance burden.
Heed her advice :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada in Denmark and a Wiki article
@ 2009-09-07 16:05       ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2009-09-07 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta a �crit :
> That's called "duplication of effort" and "maintenance nightmare". Ada
> was designed to maximize reuse and minimize the maintenance burden.
> Heed her advice :)
Duplication of efforts is a waste, but duplication of web sites makes
Ada more visible...
           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Ada in Denmark and a Wiki article
@ 2009-09-07 17:17       `
From:  @ 2009-09-07 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
  > That's called "duplication of effort" and "maintenance nightmare". Ada
> was designed to maximize reuse and minimize the maintenance burden.
> Heed her advice :)

Haha, you got me there Ludovic.

:D

--