From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Asynchronous abort not working in Debian GNAT?
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:32:04 +0300
Date: 2009-07-15T21:32:04+03:00	[thread overview]

Under Debian Sarge on Intel, gnat 3.15p, I implemented a time-out for an
application using the canonical construct:

     select
        delay Time_Out;
        Error (...);
     then abort
        Processing (...);
     end select;

After upgrading to Debian Lenny, FSF GNAT 4.3.2, it appears that this no
longer works; instead, Processing completes without being aborted,
unless Processing does something that probably invokes scheduling, for
example "delay 0.0" or Text_IO output to the console.

Running "strace" on the program shows that a SIGABRT is signalled at
TIme_Out, but does not abort Processing until Processing does something
like delay or console output. The GNAT polling option (-gnatP) does not
seem to help.

I did not find any Debian bug report on this issue. Has anyone else seen
this? Do you know of work-arounds? Other than sprinkling the code with
frequent delay statements.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd