* GNAT & Linux & OS calls & Tk perhaps ?
@ 1998-09-19  0:00 Gerald Gutierrez
From: Gerald Gutierrez @ 1998-09-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all.

Thanks to those who enlightened me about Ada. I was told that the Ada
compiler I have likely already does have some sort of bindings to the
operating system it is being used on.

Perhaps I'm just not used to Ada, but I'm having trouble figuring out
what the bindings are and how I can use them. I'm using GNAT 3.10p ( I
think, I'm not at my machine now ) on RedHat 5.1 Linux. I'd like to be
able to access the system & library calls. It would be really great if I
can have some sort of access to Tk for UI purposes as well ( and so
implicitly Tcl ). Is this possible ?

Someone please point me in a direction where I can find this
information.

Thanks.

Please forward replies to gutier@intergate.bc.ca.

* Re: GNAT & Linux & OS calls & Tk perhaps ?
@ 1998-09-20  0:00 ` dewarr
From: dewarr @ 1998-09-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3604863B.590E10F1@intergate.bc.ca>,
  Gerald Gutierrez <gutier@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Thanks to those who enlightened me about Ada. I was told that the Ada
> compiler I have likely already does have some sort of bindings to the
> operating system it is being used on.
>
> Perhaps I'm just not used to Ada, but I'm having trouble figuring out
> what the bindings are and how I can use them. I'm using GNAT 3.10p ( I
> think, I'm not at my machine now ) on RedHat 5.1 Linux. I'd like to be
> able to access the system & library calls. It would be really great if I
> can have some sort of access to Tk for UI purposes as well ( and so
> implicitly Tcl ). Is this possible ?
>
> Someone please point me in a direction where I can find this
> information.

Just read up on pragma Import, and look at the appropriate
section of Annex B of the reference manual (one of the
sections of the RM that is quite accessible).

From: dewarr @ 1998-09-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In article <3604863B.590E10F1@intergate.bc.ca>,
>   Gerald Gutierrez <gutier@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Thanks to those who enlightened me about Ada. I was told that the Ada
> > compiler I have likely already does have some sort of bindings to the
> > operating system it is being used on.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm just not used to Ada, but I'm having trouble figuring out
> > what the bindings are and how I can use them. I'm using GNAT 3.10p ( I
> > think, I'm not at my machine now ) on RedHat 5.1 Linux. I'd like to be
> > able to access the system & library calls. It would be really great if I
> > can have some sort of access to Tk for UI purposes as well ( and so
> > implicitly Tcl ). Is this possible ?
> >
> > Someone please point me in a direction where I can find this
> > information.

Note that when using GNAT, you should definitely look through
the g-xxx.ads files. There is quite a lot of useful stuff
there!

* Re: GNAT & Linux & OS calls & Tk perhaps ?
@ 1998-09-20  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr
From: David C. Hoos, Sr @ 1998-09-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerald Gutierrez wrote in message <3604863B.590E10F1@intergate.bc.ca>...
>Hi all.
>
>Thanks to those who enlightened me about Ada. I was told that the Ada
>compiler I have likely already does have some sort of bindings to the
>operating system it is being used on.
>
>Perhaps I'm just not used to Ada, but I'm having trouble figuring out
>what the bindings are and how I can use them. I'm using GNAT 3.10p ( I
>think, I'm not at my machine now ) on RedHat 5.1 Linux. I'd like to be
>able to access the system & library calls. It would be really great if I
>can have some sort of access to Tk for UI purposes as well ( and so
>implicitly Tcl ). Is this possible ?
>
>Someone please point me in a direction where I can find this
>information.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Please forward replies to gutier@intergate.bc.ca.

In addition to the references to GNAT code cited by Robert Dewar, here are
some other suggestions:

There is a TCL/Tk binding to Ada available at: "http://tash.calspan.com/"

For OS functionality bindings there is a POSIX Ada binding (1003.5b)
specifications and implementation at
"http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/ftp/pub/PART/FLORIST/".
The implementation is called FLORIST, and is for use with GNAT. This is an
active project, with new releases appearing from time to time.

David C. Hoos, Sr.