From: "Björn Persson" <spam-away@nowhere.nil>
Subject: Re: Setting up an Ada hello world project
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:58:40 GMT
Date: 2006-10-31T20:58:40+00:00	[thread overview]

markww wrote:
> I finally got a working compiler for windows. However, I'm not quite
> sure how to go about compiling a hello world application. The default
> project created one source file with the text:
[...]
> but the compiler complains that there are no Ada sources in this
> project. How do I go about adding an Ada source? I just want to run
> something like:
>
>     with Ada.Text_IO;
>
>     procedure Hello is
>     begin
>        Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line("Hello, world!");
>     end Hello;

You don't need a project file to compile a hello world program. Since
you have Gnat you should put that in a file named "hello.adb" and then
run "gnatmake hello.adb". This should produce an executable file named
"hello.exe".

I think you should let the Gnat project files wait a bit. Right now you
can think of them as something GPS uses to store the settings you make.
Later, when you're more familiar with Ada, you can start learning what
Gnat project files are useful for.

--
Bj�rn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.