From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.not.jrcarter@acm.not.spam.org>
Subject: Re: New_Page
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:29:20 GMT
Date: 2006-11-01T18:29:20+00:00	[thread overview]

Tapio Marjom�ki wrote:

> could somebody tell why the procedure below does not run as expected?

Probably because you have unreasonable expectations. Since we don't know
what your expectations are, we can't be more specific. It would also
help if we knew what compiler you were using.

New_Page typically puts one or more control characters ("format
effectors") into the specified file (with no explicit file, this is
Current_Output; if not explicitly set, Current_Output is
Standard_Output). What those characters are is up to the compiler
writer. What those characters do when sent to various output devices is
up to the creators of those output devices.

It is likely that the new-page character(s) output by your compiler are
those that cause a new page on some device other than a Windows console,
and are not those needed by a Windows console.

In short, New_Page is device-specific, should probably not have been
included in Text_IO, and should be avoided in portable SW.

--
Jeff Carter
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of