From: chris@unixfu.net (Chris Humphries)
Subject: Re: SSH Sessions ?
Date: 9 Aug 2004 18:54:09 -0700
Date: 2004-08-09T18:54:09-07:00	[thread overview]

Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message news:<cf8iab$qav$1@a1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de>...
> Chris Humphries <chris@unixfu.net> wrote:
> :   Has anyone written or have a way to do SSH sessions via ADA?
> :
> :   Looking to: 1) connect to servers from having the username, password, and ip
> :               2) execute one command
> :               3) save the text/status returned from the command
>
> Not exactly like ssh, but would SOAP via HTTPS be an option?
> http://libre.act-europe.fr/aws/aws-2.0p.html#Using%20SOAP

Thank you for the information, yet I am afraid it must be SSH[2].

I would like to use ADA instead of Perl to log into machines on
our network and check various things (kernel versions [we have our
own rolled] and security checks) for our clients. I work at an
isp and webhosting company (of a nice size) and would like to
login with login information (which i already have in a system
i wrote) via SSH. Installing software on client computers will
not be an option :)

I am new to ADA, but it seems like an awesome language. Much easier
to read and understand what is going on than most other languages I
know (including Python).

Would like to move from Perl for most of the core company software
needs to Ruby or ADA.

I was told I could use C libraries and call methods from them from
within ADA. Is this true, and if so, could I use the existing
openssl/openssh libraries to implement SSH in ADA? That seems like
too much work and why not just use Perl (best tool for the job/time?).

> -- George

SOAP over HTTPS does sound good though for data transmission over
secure channels. Only used plain bare XML for data and meta-data,
nothing more. Guess I should look more into it ;)