From: "Stuart" <stuart@0.0>
Subject: Re: PowerPC ISA
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:37:45 -0000
Date: 2009-03-16T08:37:45+00:00	[thread overview]

"Charles H. Sampson" <csampson@inetworld.net> wrote in message
news:1iwjgj2.1gcbtto1mbvuicN%csampson@inetworld.net...
>     Has anyone developed an Ada type that describes the PowerPC
> instruction set architecture?  Failing that, does anyone know of an
> available description of how a PowerPC CPU might decode instructions?
>     I've got the IBM book that describes the PowerPC but it's not laid
> out to answer my questions.  If I get no joy here, I'll figure it out
> myself but I have no interest at all in reinventing the wheel.  I need
> to get this done as quickly and cheaply as possible.

It's not entirely clear what you want to achieve with this Ada type, but if
it is to create machine code inserts, then you might want to look at package
Machine_Code for the compiler you are using.

It is also not clear what questions you are seeking answers for that are not
adequately explained by the manual you have.  As you are describing some
stack corruption then it may be that you are trying to understand how things
are set up on the stack.  This is not necessarily best described by a
PowerPC processor manual as the processor does not have a stack register;
only by convention is r1 used as the stack pointer.  If this is what you are
trying to deal with you will probably want to get hold of a copy of the
PowerPC Embedded Application Binary Interface (EABI) which describes the
conventions recommended (and widely observed) for the PowerPC.

Regards
--
   Stuart