* Ann: Zip-Ada v.50
@ 2016-03-31  6:30 gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2016-03-31  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

There is a new version of Zip-Ada @ http://unzip-ada.sf.net .

***

In a nutshell, there are now, finally, fast *and* efficient compression methods available.

* Changes in '50', 31-Mar-2016:
  - Zip.Compress.Shrink is slightly faster
  - Zip.Compress.Deflate has new compression features:
   - Deflate_Fixed is much faster, with slightly better compression
   - Deflate_1 was added: strength similar to zlib, level 6
   - Deflate_2 was added: strength similar to zlib, level 9
   - Deflate_3 was added: strength similar to 7-Zip, method=deflate, level 5

As you perhaps know, the Deflate format performs compression in two steps by combining a LZ77 algorithm with Huffman encoding.
In this edition, two known algorithms are combined probably for the first time within the same software.
Additionally, the determination of compressed blocks' boundaries is done by an original algorithm based on similarities between Huffman code sets.

***

Zip-Ada is a library for dealing with the Zip compressed archive
file format. It supplies:

 - compression with the following sub-formats ("methods"):
     Store, Reduce, Shrink (LZW) and Deflate
 - decompression for the following sub-formats ("methods"):
     Store, Reduce, Shrink (LZW), Implode, Deflate, BZip2 and LZMA
 - encryption and decryption (portable Zip 2.0 encryption scheme)
 - unconditional portability - within limits of compiler's provided
     integer types and target architecture capacity
 - input (archive to decompress or data to compress) can be any data stream
 - output (archive to build or data to extract) can be any data stream
 - types Zip_info and Zip_Create_info to handle archives quickly and easily
 - cross format compatibility with the most various tools and file formats
     based on the Zip format: 7-zip, Info-Zip's Zip, WinZip, PKZip, Java's
     JARs, OpenDocument files, MS Office 2007+, Nokia themes, and many others
 - task safety: this library can be used ad libitum in parallel processing
 - endian-neutral I/O

Enjoy!
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

* Re: Ann: Zip-Ada v.50
@ 2016-04-04  8:05 ` slos
From: slos @ 2016-04-04  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le jeudi 31 mars 2016 08:30:13 UTC+2, gautier...@hotmail.com a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> There is a new version of Zip-Ada @ http://unzip-ada.sf.net .
>
> ***
>
> In a nutshell, there are now, finally, fast *and* efficient compression methods available.
>
> * Changes in '50', 31-Mar-2016:
>   - Zip.Compress.Shrink is slightly faster
>   - Zip.Compress.Deflate has new compression features:
>    - Deflate_Fixed is much faster, with slightly better compression
>    - Deflate_1 was added: strength similar to zlib, level 6
>    - Deflate_2 was added: strength similar to zlib, level 9
>    - Deflate_3 was added: strength similar to 7-Zip, method=deflate, level 5
>
> As you perhaps know, the Deflate format performs compression in two steps by combining a LZ77 algorithm with Huffman encoding.
> In this edition, two known algorithms are combined probably for the first time within the same software.
> Additionally, the determination of compressed blocks' boundaries is done by an original algorithm based on similarities between Huffman code sets.
>
> ***
>
> Zip-Ada is a library for dealing with the Zip compressed archive
> file format. It supplies:
>
>  - compression with the following sub-formats ("methods"):
>      Store, Reduce, Shrink (LZW) and Deflate
>  - decompression for the following sub-formats ("methods"):
>      Store, Reduce, Shrink (LZW), Implode, Deflate, BZip2 and LZMA
>  - encryption and decryption (portable Zip 2.0 encryption scheme)
>  - unconditional portability - within limits of compiler's provided
>      integer types and target architecture capacity
>  - input (archive to decompress or data to compress) can be any data stream
>  - output (archive to build or data to extract) can be any data stream
>  - types Zip_info and Zip_Create_info to handle archives quickly and easily
>  - cross format compatibility with the most various tools and file formats
>      based on the Zip format: 7-zip, Info-Zip's Zip, WinZip, PKZip, Java's
>      JARs, OpenDocument files, MS Office 2007+, Nokia themes, and many others
>  - task safety: this library can be used ad libitum in parallel processing
>  - endian-neutral I/O
>
> Enjoy!
> _________________________
> Gautier's Ada programming
> http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
> NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

Hello Gautier,

I wanted to let you know that there are plans to use quite soon your library to archive data acquired for trending in "Ada for Automation".

I'm also thinking about using Ada PDF Writer for the generation of various production or quality reports.

So, thank you very much for providing those libraries to the community.

Best Regards,
Stéphane
http://slo-ist.fr/ada4autom