From: Rob Veenker <veenker@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: GNAT Pro for .NET
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:40:31 +0100
Date: 2008-11-30T12:40:31+01:00	[thread overview]

george.priv@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> On Nov 24, 6:07 pm, Rob Veenker <veen...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> I have not tested the integration in passing Ada objects but there is a
>> way of extending MSIL classes using Ada. I believe there is even a
>> tutorial on this.
>
> Is these available online somewhere?

Not that I know of. I remember that there were some by Dr. Carlisle used in his SigAda tutorials and early mgnat distributions but since AdaCore implemented Ada for .Net towards the Ada 2005 standard, these samples no longer work (they used 'with type' instead of the new 'limited with')
I have now tried to convert the old 'extend .net class' sample to the GNAT GPL version and managed to get it working for .Net compact framework.
In the full .Net framework the compiler complains that declaring the new type is not allowed : 'stand-alone object of Java-convention tagged type not allowed'
If this is also true for the GNAT Pro version I will submit a bugreport :-)

>> To be able to call 'native' Ada code I still rely on the MS COM+
>> interface using GNATCOM and wrap this native COM object using interop
>> services :-) But you can also use pragma import / export !
>>

>> Have a look at the extend_dotnet_class tutorial. Here the
>> MSSyst.IDisposible is indeed used as well. But the object is created
>> outside of Ada. Which version of Ada for .Net are you using? There should
>> be something on this subject in the documentation as well.
>

> Microsoft Visual C++ 2005   77626-009-0000007-41878
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
>
> Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications
> 77626-009-0000007-41878
> Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications
>
> Ada for .NET (A#)   Version 1.0.1000.1000
> This incorporates the A# compiler (asharp.martincarlisle.com) into
> Visual Studio 2005.

Ok, the compiler from sourceforge is a good place to start. I used it for our projects too but we needed to have a commercial support so that's why AdaCore has now developed the GNAT Pro version.
I'm not sure if Dr. Martin Carlisle is still working on the sourceforge version. It has been untouched for quite some time now.

The GPL 2008 version on the libre site (libre.adacore.com) is also a good option. There were some issues with the integration in the MS Visual Studio but I have posted a fix for this in a previous thread.

This compiler also has some examples that demonstrate mixed language and .Net class extension usage.

>> > Thanks,
>>
>> > George Privalov.

Regards,
Rob Veenker