From: Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: Ada on Mac
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:50:02 +0200
Date: 2008-09-30T15:50:02+02:00	[thread overview]

Ludovic Brenta schrieb:
> Martin Krischik wrote:
>> Well my hope was to upstream to MacPorts in which case an MacPorts
>> section would be needed - and then listing differences would be interesting.
>>
>> Currently GNU Ada is just staging area for a MacPosts version.
>>
>> However, my upstream patches where not received well:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/16549
>
> I think you misunderstood ryandesign's objection about the bootstrap
> compiler. He doesn't say you should not need a bootstrap compiler; he
> says that if you do, then the port must download and install the
> bootstrap compiler automatically before building (re-read his last
> sentence).

I know and I thought about it - but and automated dmg/pkg installation
of an >100MB package? And really one would need to deinstall the package
afterwards.

> Also, it would be nice if you considered an entirely new port called
> gnat43 which does require (and install) the MacAda compiler, but uses
> the same sources as gcc43. This is what Debian does: gcj, gpc, gdc and
> gnat are separate from gcc for this very reason.

I did consider that - and it is my plan B. But it does feel like a fork.
Note that MacPorts - unlike other package systems installs all GCC core
languages (but ot Ada) with as one package. Probably due to the "gento"
 source code based way of live.

> (I replied here because I can't figure out how to contribute to the
> ticket directly).

I thought that is pretty simple. Ahh, well...

>> Once here truly is a MacPorts version the differences would be explained
>> in the line of integration: MacAda aims to integrate GNAT with the
>> existing Mac OS X development environment (read XCode) while MacPorts is
>> about integrating Mac OS X with the rest of the Unix world (read
>> "configure make install).
>
> That's interesting. Could you elaborate on the practical consequences?

MacPorts comes with Gtk, GNU tools, etc. pp which will make it easier to
port - for example - the gps. There is also a MacPort version of QT4 -
so QtAda might work with MacPorts as well.

However - there is currently no IDE for MacPorts while MacAda has XCode.

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net