From: Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Ada Mode and GNAT Project files
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:56:07 +0200
Date: 2008-08-15T10:56:08+02:00	[thread overview]

deadlyhead schrieb:
> This has been discussed before, specifically by Ludovic Brenta in
> 2005. <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ada/browse_thread/
> thread/8ca2d617a0d92ff/2dad47ea5cfa17ed?lnk=gst&q=ada+mode+gnat+project
> +files#2dad47ea5cfa17ed> I'm wondering if anything ever came of plans
> to replace Ada Mode Projects with GNAT Projects.  There are many
> benefits to making this change, so I thought I'd ask if there was
> anyone in the know.

I'd vote against a complete replacement and in favor
of a simple abstraction:

 - where to find files and

 - where to find navigation information

(such as can be extracted from .ali files).  Then it is still
possible to steer the compiler with a -P switch and maybe
a Lisp variable for the "external" project settings.

One reason is that GNAT project files are, well, GNAT specific.
They are not standard, though open, but other Ada compilers
use different project descriptions, use different options,
and so on.
  However, all compilers need to know where to find sources,
and many if not all produce information that can be used
for navigation.