From: jpt@diphi.demon.co.uk (JP Thornley)
Subject: Re: Safety Critical Systems and Ada 95
Date: 1998/06/10
Date: 1998-06-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article: <357EB552.5CF3EB9@swl.msd.ray.com>  "John J Cupak Jr, CCP"
<jcj@swl.msd.ray.com> writes:

> I know Ada 95 has a Safety Annex, but has anyone actually used
> it to implement a real (or even example) system?
>
> Are there any specific reports or papers on the Safety features
> of Ada 95 (other than RM95 or the Rationale)?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know!

There are (AFAIK) no compilers that implement Annex H (but there are no
tests for conformance either!).

[But I've just remembered that GNAT claims to implement 100% of the
language - must see what they do for the Annex H pragmas.]

It's important to realise that pragma Restrictions does not *impose*
that restriction on the code. ARM 13.12 says "A pragma Restrictions
expresses the user's intent to abide by certain restrictions." and if
the user breaks the restriction the program need not do anything about
it. [In fact I think the program becomes erroneous - which isn't really
very useful.]

Probably of more use is the Technical Report currently being written by
the Annex H Rapporteur Group (the HRG - a subgroup of WG9). This is
titled (something like) "Guidance on the use of the Ada language for
high-integrity software" and a preliminary draft has recently been
circulated within the HRG mailing list for comment. There is another
meeting of the Group in a couple of weeks to review comments received
and I think the plan is that the draft resulting from that meeting is to
be published in Ada Letters later this year. [Once the report is
formally circulated within ISO then I believe that copyright
restrictions will prevent it being published elsewhere.]

This report has very little to say about Annex H, but concentrates on
the links between the features of the language and how the various
verification and validation techniques are affected by their use.

The other excellent reference in this area is John Barnes' book: High
Integrity Ada, The SPARK Approach, but that makes no reference to
Annex H at all.

Phil Thornley

| JP Thornley    EMail jpt@diphi.demon.co.uk                           |
|                      phil.thornley@acm.org                           |