* NASA Phoenix?
@ 2008-05-26 17:55 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 2008-05-26 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Any Ada in that project? If you work on, or close to, that project and
can say Yes or No, please reply here, or privately to mfeldman@gwu.edu.

Mike Feldman

* Re: NASA Phoenix?
@ 2008-05-27  7:21 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2008-05-27  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 May, 18:55, Michael Feldman <mfeld...@gwu.edu> wrote:
> Any Ada in that project? If you work on, or close to, that project and
> can say Yes or No, please reply here, or privately to mfeld...@gwu.edu.
>
> Mike Feldman

Why privately??? I'm sure there are loads of us that would be
interested! :-)

* Re: NASA Phoenix?
@ 2008-05-27  7:44   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 2008-05-27  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin wrote:
> On 26 May, 18:55, Michael Feldman <mfeld...@gwu.edu> wrote:
>> Any Ada in that project? If you work on, or close to, that project and
>> can say Yes or No, please reply here, or privately to mfeld...@gwu.edu.
>>
>> Mike Feldman
>
> Why privately??? I'm sure there are loads of us that would be
> interested! :-)

I agree it would be really interesting to have a discussion about it here.

OTOH, in making up my project list, I've received a lot of private tips
from people who didn't mind having it known that project XYZ was using
Ada, but who didn't want to be identified as the one who publicized it.

Bureaucracies are funny that way -- people often have to get permission
to speak or write publicly. So instead of going through the hassle, they
"leak" it to me, and I put it in the list without their fingerprints on
it. You'd be surprised at the number of items in that list that came to
me in this manner.

Sheesh, I feel like a *&^% investigative journalist. I'm just a retired
CS professor but sometimes I feel like Bob Woodward. (I wish I got paid
like he does...) As it says in the web page, I respect the
confidentiality of my sources.

It's getting near the end of May, and I'm getting ready to put out a
June edition, probably on June 2 or 3.

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html

Anyone have anything to add this week?

Mike Feldman

* Re: NASA Phoenix?
@ 2008-05-27  9:21     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-05-27  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Feldman schrieb:
> Martin wrote:

> http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html
>
> Anyone have anything to add this week?

Just hat a look at the list. Now:

Swiss Postbank Electronic Funds Transfer system

should be:

PostFinance SWISS POST: Electronic Funds Transfer system.

as this is the official english spelling of the company name. See:

http://www.postfinance.ch/pf/content/en.html

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: NASA Phoenix?
@ 2008-07-05 14:58 ` Chris Moore
From: Chris Moore @ 2008-07-05 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Feldman wrote:
> Any Ada in that project? If you work on, or close to, that project and
> can say Yes or No, please reply here, or privately to mfeldman@gwu.edu.
>
> Mike Feldman

Here's the reply I got :

"The question you submitted to the Phoenix Mars Mission ask the team has
been answered. Your question was:

As a computer scientist I'd like to know what processors, operating
system and languages are use on the lander.

The answer to your question is:

Thanks for your interest in the mission and sorry for the delay in our
response. We use a RAD6000 microprocessor, a version of the PowerPC chip
once used on many Macintosh computers but enhanced to endure the Martian
environment. It operates at three speeds, 5 million, 10 million or 20
million clock cycles per second. We have more than 74 megabytes of
dynamic random access memory, plus flash memory. The language used is C,
also C++ and Java for the testbed engineering.

We appreciate your interest in the Phoenix Mars Mission!"

So no Ada which surprises me a little.  The OS is VxWorks as mentioned
at http://blogs.windriver.com/deliman/2008/05/did-you-watch-i.html

Chris M Moore