From: ahlan@marriott.org
Subject: Re: Gtk Combobox under Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 09:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2017-03-14T09:38:04-07:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 6:58:33 PM UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 2017-03-13 18:50, ahlan@marriott.org wrote:
>
> > Because they work when run from GPS, we can't debug them - because they work.
>
> One difference I know is that GPS redirects standard files. So, the same
> GtkAda program doing Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line works under GPS, but crashes
> outside it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Our idea that the speed of the machine might be a factor was a red herring.
We have done some more tests and discovered that our programs always work on
Ubuntu if Gnat/GtkAda is NOT installed.

So we now think it is some form of combination of Gnat GPL 2015/2016 and GtkAda GPL 2015/2016 that is causing the failure.

I notice that when Gnat GPL2015 or GPL2016 is installed (without Gtk or GtkAda) our Gtk programs stop working - they don't even startup. So obviously installing Gnat puts something into some search path that causes our GTK programs to crash.

My guess - to be confirmed tomorrow is that installing Gtk/GtkAda will fix this and that depending on which GtkAda/Gtk is installed (either 2015 or 2016) we will have a working program or one that fails if it has comboboxes. I suspect the 15 is OK and that it is the newer 16 that is causing us problems.

I know nothing about Linux - so I don't know if what I am describing makes sense or is indeed possible.
It is just the result of our tests.

MfG
Ahlan