From: vladimir@inteloc.intel.com (Vladimir G. Ivanovic)
Subject: Re: Handling objects in a distributed system
Date: 16 Aug 89 18:13:42 GMT	[thread overview]

dave davis writes:

>Ed Berard poses an issue in dealing with objects in a distributed
>system:  how to send an object to another node.
>I suggest that an approach would be to transmit "installation
>instructions" (or template, or frame) with each transmitted object so
>that the recieving node only needs to know a general schema for object
>installation.

Maybe there is something I'm missing, but why on earth would one want
to send an object to another node?  Isn't it like passing an array to
a procedure?  Why not just pass the name of the object?  In a truly
distributed system, the name server will provide the access path.
Then there is only one copy and no consistency problem.