From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: hardware architectures to run Ada on in 2008
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:57:05 +0200
Date: 2008-02-22T21:57:05+02:00	[thread overview]

Yochi Choresh wrote:
> How weird does it sound, to intend to run GNAT compiled code on
> a PowerPC on top of some Linux kernel as the embedded system
> steering e.g. a drone?
>
> Or is this something, that the industry has been doing already for a
> couple of years?

Quite realistic, not weird at all. About six years ago I was
involved with an ESA project that built a prototype Mars rover. We
used GNAT on a PC104/Intel x86 computer on-board the rover. The
computer ran Linux from a DiskOnChip device. For development work
we connected an IDE hard disk to the PC104 stack. We wrote our own
Linux device drivers for the analog and digital I/O cards. We used
plain Linux, no RT variant. The rover was controlled through a wire
tether using UDP over PPP. The other end of the tether connected to
a PC with a Java GUI.

For a production rover we would surely have used some other
processor and a small kernel or Ada RTS. But for a ground-based
system Linux+GNAT was OK.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd