* Free database bindings for Windows?
@ 2008-02-19 16:59 Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2008-02-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a good way to interact with an off the shelf database
server from an Ada application. I need to be able to make SQL queries,
examine the results, and so forth. My application will be running on
Windows XP and will be built with GNAT GPL 2007. The database server
probably also needs to run on Windows XP, but this is a more flexible
requirement... I might be able to run the database server on a Linux
machine. My intention is to use either PostgreSQL (preferred) or MySQL.
I could possibly also use Oracle.

After a quick search I located GNADE and APQ. Neither of these projects
appears to be particularly active (my apologies if I misinterpreted the
web pages). There is an ADBI (Ada Database Interface) project on
SourceForge that looks at least somewhat active, but there are no
downloadable files posted for it yet.

I'm wondering if there is a "well known" database interface library for
Ada that I should be looking at.

Thanks

Peter

* Re: Free database bindings for Windows?
@ 2008-02-19 19:09 ` marcelo.batera
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: marcelo.batera @ 2008-02-19 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 fev, 14:59, "Peter C. Chapin" <pcha...@sover.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for a good way to interact with an off the shelf database
> server from an Ada application. I need to be able to make SQL queries,
> examine the results, and so forth. My application will be running on
> Windows XP and will be built with GNAT GPL 2007. The database server
> probably also needs to run on Windows XP, but this is a more flexible
> requirement... I might be able to run the database server on a Linux
> machine. My intention is to use either PostgreSQL (preferred) or MySQL.
> I could possibly also use Oracle.
>
> After a quick search I located GNADE and APQ. Neither of these projects
> appears to be particularly active (my apologies if I misinterpreted the
> web pages). There is an ADBI (Ada Database Interface) project on
> SourceForge that looks at least somewhat active, but there are no
> downloadable files posted for it yet.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a "well known" database interface library for
> Ada that I should be looking at.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Hello Peter,

I have played along with both GNADE and APQ in IMHO APQ is a lot
easier to use and seems to be a more mature project.

For the activity, APQ hasn't been maintained for a while but something
tells me it's gonna be highly active in the next years, starting this
week (sorry but I won't say anything else for the moment... just
believe me :D).

Regards.

* Re: Free database bindings for Windows?
@ 2008-02-19 19:47 ` Vadim Godunko
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vadim Godunko @ 2008-02-19 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter C. Chapin:
> I'm looking for a good way to interact with an off the shelf database
> server from an Ada application. I need to be able to make SQL queries,
> examine the results, and so forth. My application will be running on
> Windows XP and will be built with GNAT GPL 2007. The database server
> probably also needs to run on Windows XP, but this is a more flexible
> requirement... I might be able to run the database server on a Linux
> machine. My intention is to use either PostgreSQL (preferred) or MySQL.
> I could possibly also use Oracle.

QtAda has bindings for the QtSql module. QtSql module may work with
different database servers, including PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite,
Oracle, MS SQL, and so on. It allows to build both Windows service and
GUI applications. If your application requires GUI then QtAda may be
interesting for you as portable GUI library.

* Re: Free database bindings for Windows?
@ 2008-02-19 19:49 ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2008-02-19 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Lut, 17:59, "Peter C. Chapin" <pcha...@sover.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for a good way to interact with an off the shelf database
> server from an Ada application.

> My intention is to use either PostgreSQL

Have a look at:

http://www.msobczak.com/prog/bin/pgAda.tar.gz

It is a *very* simple binding for Ada/PgSQL.
The package contains a test program, which can be also used as a
simple "documentation" for how to use the library.

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com

* Re: Free database bindings for Windows?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-20  3:17 ` Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2008-02-20  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter C. Chapin wrote:

> I'm wondering if there is a "well known" database interface library for
> Ada that I should be looking at.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Peter

* Re: Free database bindings for Windows?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-23  1:30 ` Fionn Mac Cumhaill
From: Fionn Mac Cumhaill @ 2008-02-23  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:59:35 -0500, "Peter C. Chapin"
<pchapin@sover.net> wrote:

>I'm looking for a good way to interact with an off the shelf database
>server from an Ada application. I need to be able to make SQL queries,
>examine the results, and so forth. My application will be running on
>Windows XP and will be built with GNAT GPL 2007. The database server
>probably also needs to run on Windows XP, but this is a more flexible
>requirement... I might be able to run the database server on a Linux
>machine. My intention is to use either PostgreSQL (preferred) or MySQL.
>I could possibly also use Oracle.
>
>After a quick search I located GNADE and APQ. Neither of these projects
>appears to be particularly active (my apologies if I misinterpreted the
>web pages). There is an ADBI (Ada Database Interface) project on
>SourceForge that looks at least somewhat active, but there are no
>downloadable files posted for it yet.
>
>I'm wondering if there is a "well known" database interface library for
>Ada that I should be looking at.
>
>Thanks
>
>Peter

The MySQL binding in GNADE is for MySQL 3 and 4.
I have updated it for MySQL 5. It still needs work, but all that
remains to be done is in source code comments - the source contains
comments referring to MySQL V4 C header files which I have not yet
edited to properly refer to the V5 headers. I should send it back to
the GNADE project, but I can also e-mail it to interested parties or
post it here.