From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: Naming conventions : where does the capital letter come frome ?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:51:01 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2008-09-29T07:51:01-07:00	[thread overview]

On Sep 26, 6:52 pm, Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
<yannick_duch...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hello and Bonsoir,
>
> I was wondering why the most used Ada naming convention use capital
> letters with underscores.... further more, why capital letters while
> there are underscores to help to discern identifier parts ?

This isn't an answer to your question, but a historical note: In the
Ada 83 reference manual, the convention was that names of identifiers
were in *all* capitals; reserved words were all lower-case (and were
printed in boldface, in the manual).  I can't say for certain why it
changed, but quite possibly people just felt that having too many
capital letters strung together was harder on the eyes (particularly
in source code, where, without a special tool or editor to view the
code, letters all appear in the same font).

Actually, I'd guess that the reason for the current naming convention
is partly just that many people find it easiest for readability.
*Why* it would be easiest is a really hard question, but it seems like
it would be a fascinating one---for linguists or psycholinguists or
somebody in that field.  Maybe one of them has some ideas about it.
Is there a Usenet linguistics group someone could ask?

                               -- Adam