* "Who's Using Ada" - April 2008 edition
@ 2008-04-02 18:26 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 2008-04-02 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've just put up the April edition of the Ada project catalog. Thank you all very much for the numerous additions and corrections; I think I've processed them all. I've also added internal links to make the catalog easier to navigate.

As you can see from the description below, I've decided to stay with my original concept. I'm cataloging applications for as many domains as possible - with no preference for size, open-source vs. proprietary, military vs. non-military, etc. On the other hand, tools for use by software developers are catalogued quite well elsewhere and I do not wish to duplicate those efforts.

Thanks again for your continued assistance!

Mike Feldman
------
"Who's Using Ada: Real-World Projects Powered by the Ada Programming Language"
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html

What this is: This is the most comprehensive known catalog of systems, in operation or under active development, in which Ada is used at least to a significant degree.

What this is not: This is not a catalog of Ada-oriented software tools, libraries, bindings, and the like. The emphasis here is on applications designed for some end-user community, not for software developers. There are many, many Ada developer artifacts, and several excellent developer-oriented catalogs, including the Ada Information Clearinghouse, AdaPower, and (especially for open-source projects) the Ada section of SourceForge; these catalogs are all actively maintained and it is unnecessary and undesirable for me to duplicate those efforts.

The Ada community has much to gain from a comprehensive list like this; I need your help in maintaining it! Please e-mail additions or corrections to me -- including web links for the unlinked projects -- at mfeldman@gwu.edu. I respect the confidentiality of my sources.

Michael Feldman

* Re: "Who's Using Ada" - April 2008 edition
@ 2008-04-02 18:51 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2008-04-02 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Feldman

Michael,

Would you mind adding?

   Vision2Pixels : A picture critique oriented Web site for
                   photographers.
   http://v2p.fr.eu.org

Thanks,
Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: "Who's Using Ada" - April 2008 edition
@ 2008-04-02 23:23   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 2008-04-02 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Would you mind adding?
>
>   Vision2Pixels : A picture critique oriented Web site for
>                   photographers.
>   http://v2p.fr.eu.org
>
> Thanks,
> Pascal.

That's an interesting application! I'll include it in the next edition.
Do you think I should list it under "desktop applictions"?

For the future, I'd prefer receiving information by direct e-mail to me
at mfeldman@gwu.edu. It's easier for me to process, plus sometimes I
receive tips from people who don't want them to be seen publicly.

Now about v2p: From the site itself, it's difficult to know that it's
written using AWS. I think it would be very interesting for you to write
up an "about this site" page, explaining this.

Is this an open-source project? If so, you might want to link to the source.

Finally, do you think you could make an English version of the site? It
might make the site more widely useful. Moi, je peux lire francais...:--)

Mike Feldman

* Re: "Who's Using Ada" - April 2008 edition
@ 2008-04-03  1:48     ` Gene
From: Gene @ 2008-04-03  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 2, 7:23 pm, Michael Feldman <mfeld...@gwu.edu> wrote:
> Pascal Obry wrote:
> > Michael,
>
> > Would you mind adding?
>
> >   Vision2Pixels : A picture critique oriented Web site for
> >                   photographers.
> >  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
>
> > Thanks,
> > Pascal.
>
> That's an interesting application! I'll include it in the next edition.
> Do you think I should list it under "desktop applictions"?
>
> For the future, I'd prefer receiving information by direct e-mail to me
> at mfeld...@gwu.edu. It's easier for me to process, plus sometimes I
> receive tips from people who don't want them to be seen publicly.
>
> Now about v2p: From the site itself, it's difficult to know that it's
> written using AWS. I think it would be very interesting for you to write
> up an "about this site" page, explaining this.
>
> Is this an open-source project? If so, you might want to link to the source.
>
> Finally, do you think you could make an English version of the site? It
> might make the site more widely useful. Moi, je peux lire francais...:--)
>
> Mike Feldman

Thanks for doing this.  It would be a different direction for your
page, but you could harvest GAP for educational programs using Ada.
For example, we publish some educational support packages.  See
http://www.eecs.usma.edu/research/

* Re: "Who's Using Ada" - April 2008 edition
@ 2008-04-03 16:05     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2008-04-03 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Feldman

Michael,

> That's an interesting application! I'll include it in the next edition.
> Do you think I should list it under "desktop applictions"?

Yes and I would rename the section "desktop/web applications".

> For the future, I'd prefer receiving information by direct e-mail to me
> at mfeldman@gwu.edu. It's easier for me to process, plus sometimes I
> receive tips from people who don't want them to be seen publicly.

My message was forwarded to you.

> Now about v2p: From the site itself, it's difficult to know that it's
> written using AWS. I think it would be very interesting for you to write
> up an "about this site" page, explaining this.

You did not look hard :) There is a link on the main page: "En savoir
plus." and in this page we give information about the project and at the
bottom we clearly say that it is built in Ada and using AWS and Gwiad
(with direct links). This is also a nice demo for the AWS's Ajax
framework I would say.

> Is this an open-source project? If so, you might want to link to the
> source.

Yes, it is Open Source.

> Finally, do you think you could make an English version of the site? It
> might make the site more widely useful. Moi, je peux lire francais...:--)

Well, it is Open Source so we are ready for contribution. The story is
simple. We did (with Olivier Ramonat which is the co-developer) use
another service for photo critics. This Web site was closed and all the
sources disappear as not Open Source. So we decided to built one
ourself! But we do not have the time resource to build one in all
languages :)

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|