From: Georg Bauhaus <rm.tsoh+bauhaus@maps.futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: GNAT and -fstack-check, does it work?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:05:56 +0100
Date: 2007-11-14T11:05:58+01:00	[thread overview]

Stefan Bellon wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov, Niklas Holsti wrote:
>
>> - Have you had problems like those described in bug 13757?
>>    Do you know if that bug affects GNAT?
>
> We have never used -fstack-check with C code, I'm afraid.

-fstack-check and then calling C functions caused me trouble
a few years ago. Will not using -fstack-check be o.K. with
Ada programs in case off-bound access to local arrays
(Strings, whatever) will cause SIGSEGV instead of raising
an occurrence of expception Storage_Error?

Will it be o.K. for GNAT compiled Ada programs to cause
segmentation violations instead of storage error when
some recursion needs to be run more often than preset stack
bounds will permit?

I don't want to start turning all local arrays into
pointers just because of an unclear situation with
-fstack-check. I also do not like an implementation that
is in the way of recursive subprograms.

If I could afford dropping recursion (and other features
of Ada), I'd be using SPARK. But I need Ada for writing
general purpose programs.