From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: ASIS?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:21:33 +0300
Date: 2007-10-27T15:21:33+03:00	[thread overview]

parthaspanda22@gmail.com wrote:
 >Niklas Holsti wrote:
>>You list various non-ASIS sources for the target- and
>>link-map-specific information (below). Your original query was:
>

> How? By extending the ASIS spec to include map file information,
> isnt the map file made redundant? Of course, it will
> require multiple tools in the chain to write to
> a common ASIS database.

This would bring in such a lot of new information that I would not
call the result an "ASIS database". It would be a database that
contains ASIS information *plus* other things. Maybe it should be
called "ASIS-Plus" :-)

>>But there are some executable
>>program formats that include most of the ASIS-like information (for
>>C code, at least), so for such executable formats a debugger would
>>need no additional information from the IDE.
>
> It would be difficult to debug Generics or variant record types
> unless there were a HLL interface.

Well, I know a C++ compiler in which the debug info in the
executable (proprietary format) shows the whole class inheritance
structure, including which calls in the code are virtual function
calls and which are statically bound. There is also information on
templates, in-lined calls, #defined macros, etc, and references to
the source-code files, line numbers and column numbers where all
those things are defined.

GNAT, too, puts a lot of information in the debug info. I haven't
had occasion to look deeply into that, perhaps there is something
about generics in it.

> I expect ASIS to atleast
> be able to address all Ada-specific syntactic sugar.

The debugger will still have the problem of mapping the Ada-level
ASIS information to the machine-level program entities, including
identifier mangling (eg. for instances of generics) and
optimizations that delete variables and subprograms.

Your aim -- as I have grasped it -- is to combine the ASIS
high-level information with low-level (machine-level) information
from other sources (eg. the link map) and make it all accessible as
an ASIS-like database structure. Good idea, but let's not call it
just "ASIS".

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd