From: Georg Bauhaus <rm.tsoh+bauhaus@maps.futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: parent package referring to child
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:51:19 +0200
Date: 2007-10-12T11:51:30+02:00	[thread overview]

Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:

> package P is
>    type T is ...
>
>    procedure P1 (V : [mode] T ...);
>    procedure P2 (V : [mode] T ...);
>    ... -- Additional operations as needed.
> end P;
>
> why do some seem to think it's OK to have T declared here if the
> declaration is short, but not if it is (perceived to be) long? It's the
> same concept in both cases and should, I think, be implemented in a
> uniform way.

A number of coding styles seem to emphasise quick pattern
recognition by humans. (Not to mention the all important
typographical issues, viz. dresscode).
Short packages can be perceived to have advantages for the
quick, pragmatical programmer when viewed in dumb terminals.

In program structure, form and function may have relations that
are more intricate than technical views might suggest. The
influential factors are outside the programming language, though.

I guess the partial classes of C# will help with this goal, too.