* Re: (Ted's Misrepresentations of) Hoare's gripes about Ada
@ 1993-08-26 21:23 munck
From: munck @ 1993-08-26 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In INFO-ADA Digest V93 #564, Chris Warack said:

>Ted must have seen a somewhat different speech than I've got in my
>Turing Lectures book. ...

Ted: ... the big success stories of recent years, C and Pascal,

>Hoare doesn't mention C at all...  only Pascal and ALGOL.

Ted:Hoare noted that the language was far too complex, and that users
Ted:were going to spend more time working around Ada than solving their
Ted:own problems; ...

>NOPE.  Doesn't say this at all...

Ted:And there were a number of other things.  It's not as if he gave a
Ted:long speech on another topic and then, at the end, said "Gee!  this
Ted:Ada thing looks like a bad idea..."

>He did in fact give a long speech on another topic (ALGOL) and then
>related the bad things that happened in ALGOL 68 to what might happen
>in Ada "today" (where "today" was 1980).

Ted: ... the entire speech was on the topic
Ted:of Ada, it was a hell of a long speech, and there was a buildup
Ted:which took into account a number of predecessor languages which
Ted:failed for the same reasons which Ada has failed for, and this
Ted:included most notably PL/1.

>Pure, unadulterated BS.  The speech was on ALGOL.  PL/I was never
>mentioned.  His concern with Ada was genuine, but it totalled only
>5 written paragraphs.

Ted: ... Ada was a kind of an ultimate
Ted:opposite example to everything which Hoare figured was right.

>Not true. ...

Ted: So, assuming the people aren't simply lying  ... That would imply
Ted:that everything he had learned or believed about computer science
Ted:prior to 1980 had been 100% in error,

>Well, Ted, ...  I find it ironic that this message which seems to have
> many "factual short-comings" ends accusing others of lying...

What really concerns me is that Ted may also have been misrepresenting
Velikovski all these years.

I think that we owe a debt of gratitude to Capt. Warack for so
thoroughly debunking Ted's pipedream of Hoare's speech.  Unfortunately,
Ted himself will probably just carry on as before; he seems to have
only a very low bandwidth/high noise channel to the real world.

Ted:I figure they probably tied him to a tree and forced him to listen
Ted:to rapp music until he succumbed, but that's ONLY a conjecture.

Great!  I even disagree with Ted's taste in music.

Bob Munck

* Re: (Ted's Misrepresentations of) Hoare's gripes about Ada
@ 1993-08-31  3:18 munnari.oz.au!sol.ccs.deakin.edu.au!usenet
From: munnari.oz.au!sol.ccs.deakin.edu.au!usenet @ 1993-08-31  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Article <1456@fedfil.UUCP> Ted Holden writes:

>C apparently is not mentioned, my mistake,

Run for the hills!  It's the end of the world!!

* Re: (Ted's Misrepresentations of) Hoare's gripes about Ada
@ 1993-09-01  7:48  N.B. Hedd
From:  N.B. Hedd @ 1993-09-01  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

munck@STARS.RESTON.PARAMAX.COM (Bob Munck) writes:

>Ted:I figure they probably tied him to a tree and forced him to listen
>Ted:to rapp music until he succumbed, but that's ONLY a conjecture.

>Great!  I even disagree with Ted's taste in music.

Maybe not. You're probably thinking of RAP music, but Ted is clearly talking
about "rapp" music, which may actually be dreadful (I've never heard any
myself).
John R. Moore is an idiot.

* Re: (Ted's Misrepresentations of) Hoare's gripes about Ada
@ 1993-09-01  7:51  N.B. Hedd
From:  N.B. Hedd @ 1993-09-01  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

news@fedfil.UUCP (news) writes:

>All of you Ada Software "guru's might want to check the classified adds
>tonight and check how many job openings there are for PL/1.

I just checked. There were a number of jobs for Ada people. What WAS
conspicuous by its absence was any mention of Algol. A total goose egg.

So what was your point exactly?
John R. Moore is an idiot.