* ada on linux
@ 2000-04-26  0:00 muscley2k
From: muscley2k @ 2000-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

is it possible to do ada on linux ?

if yes what do I need and where can I find them .
thanks

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-04-27  0:00 ` David Freshwater
From: David Freshwater @ 2000-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi try
http://www.gnuada.org/alt.html.
David
"muscley2k" <muscley2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> is it possible to do ada on linux ?
>
> if yes what do I need and where can I find them .
> thanks

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-04-27  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

muscley2k a �crit dans le message ...
>is it possible to do ada on linux ?
>
>if yes what do I need and where can I find them .
>thanks

Sure it is. I don't know every compiler available on that platforms
but GNAT is for sure available under Linux.

From what I understand it is in the standard Debian distrib and there
is some RPM around for RedHat. (see other post for the Web address).

Pascal.

--|

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-05-23  0:00 ` Richard Pinkall-Pollei
From: Richard Pinkall-Pollei @ 2000-05-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>is it possible to do ada on linux ?

Yes.  There are a number of compilers available, both proprietary and
public.  A good place to start is <http://www.adahome.com/>, where you
can find a list of available compilers, as well as other material on
Ada.

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-05-24  0:00     ` dale
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: dale @ 2000-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> A bit of an odd division! But in any case I know of no
> proprietary Ada 95 compilers on Linux.

I just looked up the word "proprietor" in the dictionary and it says

   "person having property, owner"

By this meaning I would have said that the FSF is the proprietor of
Gnat, and therefore there is such a compiler on Linux.

...or have I got something wrong here?

Dale

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-05-24  0:00     ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2000-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> In article <slrn8ilgih.daa.whraven@raven.wri>,
>   whraven@msn.fullfeed.com wrote:
> > >is it possible to do ada on linux ?
> >
> > Yes.  There are a number of compilers available,
>
> Really? Can you give more examples. As far as I know GNAT is
> so far the only Ada 95 compiler that is available on Linux. It
> would be nice to know if there are others.
>
> > both proprietary and public.
>
> A bit of an odd division! But in any case I know of no
> proprietary Ada 95 compilers on Linux.

Some months ago (I believe on this forum) someone mentioned a
company (i believe with a three-letter name beginning with "V")
was readying an Ada compiler for Linux.  I remember verifying
the report by visiting the company's web site, but for the life
of me, I can't find a bookmark, and I've heard no mention since.

> >  A good place to start is <http://www.adahome.com/>, where you
> > can find a list of available compilers, as well as other
> > material on Ada.
>
> This is actually not the best advice
> at this stage. The adahome site
> has not been maintained for a long time and is out of date.
> A better reference is www.adapower.com
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-05-24  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8gfieu$9c0$1@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,
  Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> In article <8gffph$ft3$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> 	Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> >Really? Can you give more examples. As far as I know GNAT is
> >so far the only Ada 95 compiler that is available on Linux.
It
> >would be nice to know if there are others.
>
> I am told by Joe Kohli of Irvine Compiler Company (ICC) that
they
> have a Linux version of their compiler.

That certainly makes sense, because I believe they generate
C code, although the Linux version has not yet shown up on
the validated compilers list. I would also assume that the
Intermetrics compiler that generates C can run on Linux, but
again I am not aware of that showing up on the list yet.

I would guess that more Linux compilers will appear. We are
finding it a significant target for a number of our large
customers.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dale-9CCC2C.14305924052000@news.rmit.edu.au>,
  dale <dale@cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote:
> Robert Dewar wrote:
>
> > A bit of an odd division! But in any case I know of no
> > proprietary Ada 95 compilers on Linux.
>
> I just looked up the word "proprietor" in the dictionary and
it says

>    "person having property, owner"
>
> By this meaning I would have said that the FSF is the
> proprietor of
> Gnat, and therefore there is such a compiler on Linux.
>
> ...or have I got something wrong here?

Well most often proprietary in software has been used to
describe software which is only released under restrictive
license terms. I think most people use the term that way.
You are free to use the term anyway you like of course, but
I think you will find that your derived meaning from the
dictionary is not the one that most people understand :-)

I think you may get confused if you regard the english
dictionary as the source of wisdom on the meaning of terms
as they are used in the computer industry!

@ 2000-05-24  0:00         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8ggm28$a33$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:

> Well most often proprietary in software has been used to
> describe software which is only released under restrictive
> license terms.

Such as requiring that changed source be released with changed
binaries ?

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-05-24  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-24  0:00     ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 2000-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8gffph$ft3$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
	Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Really? Can you give more examples. As far as I know GNAT is
>so far the only Ada 95 compiler that is available on Linux. It
>would be nice to know if there are others.

I am told by Joe Kohli of Irvine Compiler Company (ICC) that they
have a Linux version of their compiler.  Not sure of the
availability.  Also, it is intended for development targeted
to an embedded environment more than to native Linux, if I
understand correctly.

Richard Riehle

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-05-24  0:00       ` Geoff Bull
From: Geoff Bull @ 2000-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dale wrote:

> Robert Dewar wrote:
>
> > A bit of an odd division! But in any case I know of no
> > proprietary Ada 95 compilers on Linux.
>
> I just looked up the word "proprietor" in the dictionary and it says
>
>    "person having property, owner"
>
> By this meaning I would have said that the FSF is the proprietor of
> Gnat, and therefore there is such a compiler on Linux.
>
> ...or have I got something wrong here?

I think the relevant meaning is:

"manufactured and sold only by the owner of the patent, formula,
brand name, or trademark associated with the product"
(Maquarie Dictionary)

By this definition, Gnat is not proprietary.

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-05-25  0:00             ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8givvv$vvo$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <dWo9WIe9UjBn@eisner.decus.org>,
> restrictions in all licenses, but there is a pretty big
> difference between the Microsoft license, which is very much
> about protecting Microsoft's interests, and the GPL, which is
> about protecting user interests in having deriviative products
> retain a non-restrictive license.

I think this, my favorite, line from the Microsoft EULA just about says
it all:

Reservation of Rights. Microsoft reserves all rights not expressly
granted to you in the EULA.

Want to throw your software in the trash? You'll be hearing from
Microsoft's lawyers...

In fact, the EULA doesn't *explicitly* give you permission to uninstall
their software. There's a potential gold mine of litigation waiting to
be tapped. :-)

--
T.E.D.

@ 2000-05-25  0:00               ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-05-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8gjr9b$l29$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> writes:

> Want to throw your software in the trash? You'll be hearing from
> Microsoft's lawyers...

I have used (non-Microsoft) software under licenses that require
physical destruction of the media (or erasure, when technology
permits) rather than throwing it in the trash.

* Re: ada on linux
@ 2000-05-25  0:00           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> In article <8ggm28$a33$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert Dewar
<robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:

> > Well most often proprietary in software has been used to
> > describe software which is only released under restrictive
> > license terms.

> Such as requiring that changed source be released with changed
> binaries ?

No, such as not permitting redistribution at all, and not
providing the sources at all. Yes, of course there are
restrictions in all licenses, but there is a pretty big
difference between the Microsoft license, which is very much
about protecting Microsoft's interests, and the GPL, which is
about protecting user interests in having deriviative products
retain a non-restrictive license.

If you have a rule in a democracy that the one thing that the
people may not vote on is a proposal to end democracy, that's
a rather different kind of restriction than say, one which
allows only one party to exist :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: ada on linux
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-05-30  0:00     ` Richard Pinkall-Pollei
From: Richard Pinkall-Pollei @ 2000-05-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 24 May 2000 02:46:12 GMT, Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
>In article <slrn8ilgih.daa.whraven@raven.wri>,
>  whraven@msn.fullfeed.com wrote:
>> >is it possible to do ada on linux ?
>>
>> Yes.  There are a number of compilers available,
>
>Really? Can you give more examples. As far as I know GNAT is
>so far the only Ada 95 compiler that is available on Linux. It
>would be nice to know if there are others.
>
>> both proprietary and public.
>
>A bit of an odd division! But in any case I know of no
>proprietary Ada 95 compilers on Linux.
>
>>  A good place to start is <http://www.adahome.com/>, where you
>> can find a list of available compilers, as well as other
>> material on Ada.
>
>This is actually not the best advice
>at this stage. The adahome site
>has not been maintained for a long time and is out of date.
>A better reference is www.adapower.com
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

* Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-28 12:28 Paul
From: Paul @ 2007-08-28 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
    I'm returning to programming (for pleasure, rather than profit) after a
few years working mostly as a manager.  I was writing Ada code back in the
'80s.   Although I've used GNAT occasionally on a windows platform I gather
it works better on Linux.  However I'm not a Linux expert (far from it!) and
I'm getting tied up in knots trying to get a development platform working.

I recently bought a licence for VMWare Workstation 6 on Win XP and I'm
trying to get a Glade/GNAT/GTKAda arrangement working in either Fedora or
Ubuntu (both installed as host O/S').  Neither installation seems to be able
to generate Ada code from Glade without errors.  In Ubuntu I've successively
downloaded various versions of GTKAda, GTK+, GLIBC and other 'dependent'
packages and all I do is create more errors.
I do seem to have GNAT installed properly as I can compile and link a simple
'Hello world' test program.

So my question is - does anyone have a simple cookbook/howto to set up a
GNAT/Glade compilation system on Linux?  Ada code I can write -
understanding Linux is driving me nuts.  Is there a 'standard' directory
structure for location of library/include files in Linux?  I'd be grateful
for some assistance. None of the Linux manuals I've read so far have been of
much help.  Ping me off list if you prefer.

Cheers
Paul

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-28 13:23 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2007-08-28 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul a �crit :
> So my question is - does anyone have a simple cookbook/howto to set up a
> GNAT/Glade compilation system on Linux?  Ada code I can write -
> understanding Linux is driving me nuts.  Is there a 'standard' directory
> structure for location of library/include files in Linux?  I'd be grateful
> for some assistance. None of the Linux manuals I've read so far have been of
> much help.  Ping me off list if you prefer.

I recently reinstalled GtkAda, and I agree that it is not simple unless
you happen to have all the pieces in place...

Here is what I did:

- Download all the required packages from AdaCore (Gtk+, glib, cairo,
atk...)

- Install as explained in the INSTALL files, but always add the option
"--prefix=/usr/" to the "make" command line (be sure to be root).
Otherwise, it installs in /usr/local/, and you'll have a hard time
adjusting various paths...

- Note that there is an order for installing the various pieces, but I
don't know what it is (nor did I find any information about that). When
something failed to install, I just went on installing the rest, and
retried later... I eventually installed everything within a finite
number of iterations!

HTH
            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-28 15:24 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2007-08-28 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 12:28 +0000, Paul wrote:

> So my question is - does anyone have a simple cookbook/howto to set up a
> GNAT/Glade compilation system on Linux?  Ada code I can write -
> understanding Linux is driving me nuts.  Is there a 'standard' directory
> structure for location of library/include files in Linux?

There is a standard directory structure for Debian (hence for Ubuntu)
defined in the "Debian policy for Ada",
http://www.ada-france.org/debian/debian-ada-policy.html

The section "Help Wanted" adds to J P Rosen's remarks about the GLADE
situation.

-- Georg

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-28 15:50   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2007-08-28 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:23:02 +0200, Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:

> Paul a �crit :
>> So my question is - does anyone have a simple cookbook/howto to set up a
>> GNAT/Glade compilation system on Linux?  Ada code I can write -
>> understanding Linux is driving me nuts.  Is there a 'standard' directory
>> structure for location of library/include files in Linux?  I'd be grateful
>> for some assistance. None of the Linux manuals I've read so far have been of
>> much help.  Ping me off list if you prefer.
>>
> I recently reinstalled GtkAda, and I agree that it is not simple unless
> you happen to have all the pieces in place...
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> - Download all the required packages from AdaCore (Gtk+, glib, cairo,
> atk...)
>
> - Install as explained in the INSTALL files, but always add the option
> "--prefix=/usr/" to the "make" command line (be sure to be root).
> Otherwise, it installs in /usr/local/, and you'll have a hard time
> adjusting various paths...
>
> - Note that there is an order for installing the various pieces, but I
> don't know what it is (nor did I find any information about that). When
> something failed to install, I just went on installing the rest, and
> retried later... I eventually installed everything within a finite
> number of iterations!

BTW, did anybody manage to compile GtkAda 2.10 under Windows?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-28 19:41   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-08-28 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus writes:
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 12:28 +0000, Paul wrote:
>
>> So my question is - does anyone have a simple cookbook/howto to set
>> up a GNAT/Glade compilation system on Linux?  Ada code I can write
>> - understanding Linux is driving me nuts.  Is there a 'standard'
>> directory structure for location of library/include files in Linux?
>
> There is a standard directory structure for Debian (hence for
> Ubuntu) defined in the "Debian policy for Ada",
> http://www.ada-france.org/debian/debian-ada-policy.html
>
> The section "Help Wanted" adds to J P Rosen's remarks about the
> GLADE situation.

Yes, this is definitely recommended reading.

To the OP: Ubuntu uses the Debian packages I maintain, but I do not
follow the Ubuntu forums or receive Ubuntu bug reports.  So, if you
use the package gnat-glade and have specific problems with it, please
file a bug in the *Debian* bug tracking system.  Instructions are at
http://bugs.debian.org.

Also, I did receive some help with gnat-glade; Adrian Wrigley wrote a
nice readme file: /usr/share/doc/libgarlic2006/README.Debian.gz.  For
those interested who don't have a Debian installation, it is also in
the Monotone server at http://www.ada-france.org/viewmtn.

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-29  9:37 ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2007-08-29  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the replies.  I have been reading the various INSTALL files I'm
obviously missing something in the installation order, versions
compatibility etc.  Anyway, the tips have given me something new to check
out.  Thanks again.

Paul

"Paul" <pcas1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
>    I'm returning to programming (for pleasure, rather than profit) after a
> few years working mostly as a manager.  I was writing Ada code back in the
> '80s.   Although I've used GNAT occasionally on a windows platform I
> gather it works better on Linux.  However I'm not a Linux expert (far from
> it!) and I'm getting tied up in knots trying to get a development platform
> working.
>
> I recently bought a licence for VMWare Workstation 6 on Win XP and I'm
> trying to get a Glade/GNAT/GTKAda arrangement working in either Fedora or
> Ubuntu (both installed as host O/S').  Neither installation seems to be
> able to generate Ada code from Glade without errors.  In Ubuntu I've
> successively downloaded various versions of GTKAda, GTK+, GLIBC and other
> 'dependent' packages and all I do is create more errors.
> I do seem to have GNAT installed properly as I can compile and link a
> simple 'Hello world' test program.
>
> So my question is - does anyone have a simple cookbook/howto to set up a
> GNAT/Glade compilation system on Linux?  Ada code I can write -
> understanding Linux is driving me nuts.  Is there a 'standard' directory
> structure for location of library/include files in Linux?  I'd be grateful
> for some assistance. None of the Linux manuals I've read so far have been
> of much help.  Ping me off list if you prefer.
>
> Cheers
> Paul

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-29 10:38   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-08-29 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul writes:
> Thanks for the replies.  I have been reading the various INSTALL files I'm
> obviously missing something in the installation order, versions
> compatibility etc.  Anyway, the tips have given me something new to check
> out.  Thanks again.

I'm confused.  If you install on a Debian-based system such as Ubuntu,
apt-get takes care of all that for you thanks to dependencies between
packages.  So the simple recipe you asked for, in the case of a
gnat-glade development system, is:

apt-get install gnat-glade

This will install gnat-4.1 and many others that are required by
gnat-glade.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-29 19:36   ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2007-08-29 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:

> Paul a écrit :
>> So my question is - does anyone have a simple cookbook/howto to set up a
>> GNAT/Glade compilation system on Linux?  Ada code I can write -
>> understanding Linux is driving me nuts.  Is there a 'standard' directory
>> structure for location of library/include files in Linux?  I'd be
>> grateful for some assistance. None of the Linux manuals I've read so far
>> have been of
>> much help.  Ping me off list if you prefer.
>>
> I recently reinstalled GtkAda, and I agree that it is not simple unless
> you happen to have all the pieces in place...

Uhm, I have installed several GtkAda versions many times and my experience
has been quite pleasant:

> Here is what I did:
>
> - Download all the required packages from AdaCore (Gtk+, glib, cairo,
> atk...)

Just download latest Gnat and Gtkada. In modern distros I guess you don't
need anything else (it's already in your system). It certainly isn't needed
in *ubuntu.

> - Install as explained in the INSTALL files, but always add the option
> "--prefix=/usr/" to the "make" command line (be sure to be root).
> Otherwise, it installs in /usr/local/, and you'll have a hard time
> adjusting various paths...

I have never changed the default and run into problems? Just ensure gnat is
in the path, ./configure and ./make install

> - Note that there is an order for installing the various pieces, but I
> don't know what it is (nor did I find any information about that). When
> something failed to install, I just went on installing the rest, and
> retried later... I eventually installed everything within a finite
> number of iterations!

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-30  8:04     ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2007-08-30  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex R. Mosteo a écrit :
> Just download latest Gnat and Gtkada. In modern distros I guess you don't
> need anything else (it's already in your system). It certainly isn't needed
> in *ubuntu.
But I have an old Mandrake; the problem is not with GtkAda, but with all
the (non Ada) stuff that GtkAda requires.

Tell me I should switch to a more recent/convenient distro? Sure.
Experience shows that reinstalling, putting back all the nice
customisations in place, etc. can take a week, with a serious risk of
losing some important files. I should do it sooner or later. Maybe later...

>> - Install as explained in the INSTALL files, but always add the option
>> "--prefix=/usr/" to the "make" command line (be sure to be root).
>> Otherwise, it installs in /usr/local/, and you'll have a hard time
>> adjusting various paths...
>
> I have never changed the default and run into problems? Just ensure gnat is
> in the path, ./configure and ./make install
Once again, I was not talking about GtkAda itself, but all the other
stuff. And with RPM-based distros, you have no idea how they are installed.
            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-30 13:09     ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2007-08-30 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK I'll try that because so far I have downloaded over a dozen packages and
several versions of some of those, my desk is covered in various scraps of
paper, sticky notes, CDs and the odd empty coffee cup!  But on the bright
side I'm now very familiar with ./configure, make, make install and many
obscure linux sites. I seem to have spent days watching script files
whizzing by and wondering if all those warnings I see for a few milliseconds
or so are important!

And to cap it off my ubuntu install is now not booting (I'm back in WinXP
with a blank Ubuntu screen in the background).

Actually I've used apt-get install a few times but it didn't occur to me to
ask for gnat-glade. Perhaps its a case of can't see the forest for the
trees.

Paul

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote in message
> Paul writes:
>> Thanks for the replies.  I have been reading the various INSTALL files
>> I'm
>> obviously missing something in the installation order, versions
>> compatibility etc.  Anyway, the tips have given me something new to check
>> out.  Thanks again.
>
> I'm confused.  If you install on a Debian-based system such as Ubuntu,
> apt-get takes care of all that for you thanks to dependencies between
> packages.  So the simple recipe you asked for, in the case of a
> gnat-glade development system, is:
>
> apt-get install gnat-glade
>
> This will install gnat-4.1 and many others that are required by
> gnat-glade.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-30 15:49       ` Poul-Erik Andreasen
From: Poul-Erik Andreasen @ 2007-08-30 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul wrote:
> OK I'll try that because so far I have downloaded over a dozen packages and
> several versions of some of those, my desk is covered in various scraps of
> paper, sticky notes, CDs and the odd empty coffee cup!  But on the bright
> side I'm now very familiar with ./configure, make, make install and many
> obscure linux sites. I seem to have spent days watching script files
> whizzing by and wondering if all those warnings I see for a few milliseconds
> or so are important!
>
> And to cap it off my ubuntu install is now not booting (I'm back in WinXP
> with a blank Ubuntu screen in the background).
>
> Actually I've used apt-get install a few times but it didn't occur to me to
> ask for gnat-glade. Perhaps its a case of can't see the forest for the
> trees.
>
> Paul

You can trust Ludovic on this one. He is the on who makes the Debian
pakages, an they just work out of the box. Besides making a souce
install of the hole gnat tool-chain is very daunting task, but thats not
my issue.

You are mentioning GLADE/GNAT/GTKADA in one sentence wich gives me the
   suspicion that you are taking about GLADE the GUI-builder this one:

http://glade.gnome.org/

wich is not the same as Gnat-Glade this one

http://gnat-glade.sourceforge.net/

To install the GUI you simply have to write

Apt-get install glade

But be of ware that there are som different versions of it
and the standart maybe different on Ubuntu (i am sitting on a debian
system) Some time ago the standart version did not have a Ada.

And the version 3 dont have any code generation at all.
that is to be find in the GtkAda package

good luck

Poul-Erik Andreasen

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-31  6:11         ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2007-08-31  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Poul-Erik wrote:

> You can trust Ludovic on this one. He is the on who makes the Debian
> pakages, an they just work out of the box. Besides making a souce install
> of the hole gnat tool-chain is very daunting task, but thats not my issue.
>
> You are mentioning GLADE/GNAT/GTKADA in one sentence wich gives me the
> suspicion that you are taking about GLADE the GUI-builder this one:
>
> http://glade.gnome.org/
>
> wich is not the same as Gnat-Glade this one
>
> http://gnat-glade.sourceforge.net/
>

> To install the GUI you simply have to write
>
> Apt-get install glade
>
> But be of ware that there are som different versions of it
> and the standart maybe different on Ubuntu (i am sitting on a debian
> system) Some time ago the standart version did not have a Ada.
>
> And the version 3 dont have any code generation at all.
> that is to be find in the GtkAda package

I've followed Ludovic's advice and have version 2.12.1 of Glade running.  It
generates ada code (after installing libgtkada2-bin).  However now I don't
seem to have the gtkada libraries installed because gnatmake is not finding
gtk.ads.  I assume it is meant to be in /usr/include/gtkada.

As for the different versions of Glade - I was after something that would
generate the GUI code to which I could then add the relevant event handlers
(I think Glade calls them signals).   If Version 3 has moved on from that
then maybe I had better think again.

Is there a package I can download using apt-get that will install the gtkada
ada libraries?  Or do I have to compile the libraries from the gtkada libre
site? https://libre.adacore.com/GtkAda/  I'm a bit concerned about that
because following the second path is how I got into strife the first time
around.

Cheers
Paul

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-31  9:03           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2007-08-31  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul wrote:

> Is there a package I can download using apt-get that will install the gtkada
> ada libraries?  Or do I have to compile the libraries from the gtkada libre
> site? https://libre.adacore.com/GtkAda/  I'm a bit concerned about that
> because following the second path is how I got into strife the first time
> around.

In cases like these I have found the Debian package dependencies
listings useful:

$ apt-cache search glade | grep ada

This turns up a number of packages. Among these are
libgtkada-gllade-2.8 and libgtkada2-dev.
Looking at their respective lists of dependencies makes
me think that all necessary libraries for writing Gtk
programs with Ada will be drawn in when you install them.

Have you tried the Synaptic Package Manger, or dselect?
(The latter is only for those who would agree that vi is
really a powerful editing programs :-)

 -- Georg

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-31 10:45             ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-08-31 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus writes:
> Have you tried the Synaptic Package Manger, or dselect?  (The latter
> is only for those who would agree that vi is really a powerful
> editing programs :-)

My favourite is aptitude.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-08-31 17:04               ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-08-31 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Brenta

Ludovic Brenta a �crit :
> My favourite is aptitude.

Same here.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-09-01  8:58             ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2007-09-01  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm very pleased to say I've had some success.  Following Georg's suggestion
below I have managed to get the testgdk program compiled and running
although it will not run the Open GL component - something to follow up on.
My final problems have been with paths, shared libraries and the like but
I'm making progress.  I'm going to stop for a bit and rewrite all my notes
including various suggestions from contributors to my dilemma so I can
recreate this again.

My own little test program fails with a gazillion link errors so obviously I
haven't got the paths sorted yet.  Kind of reminds me of my days at uni in
the 80's running pascal compilation assignments on the mainframe and having
to collective the pages of error printout the next day.  I was so pleased
when the college started Turbo Pascal.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards Paul

"Georg Bauhaus" <bauhaus.rm.tsoh@maps.futureapps.de> wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>>
>> Is there a package I can download using apt-get that will install the
>> gtkada ada libraries?  Or do I have to compile the libraries from the
>> gtkada libre site? https://libre.adacore.com/GtkAda/  I'm a bit concerned
>> about that because following the second path is how I got into strife the
>> first time around.
>
> In cases like these I have found the Debian package dependencies
> listings useful:
>
> $ apt-cache search glade | grep ada
>
> This turns up a number of packages. Among these are
> libgtkada-gllade-2.8 and libgtkada2-dev.
> Looking at their respective lists of dependencies makes
> me think that all necessary libraries for writing Gtk
> programs with Ada will be drawn in when you install them.
>
> Have you tried the Synaptic Package Manger, or dselect?
> (The latter is only for those who would agree that vi is
> really a powerful editing programs :-)
>

> -- Georg

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-09-01 12:26               ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-09-01 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul writes:
> I'm very pleased to say I've had some success.  Following Georg's suggestion
> below I have managed to get the testgdk program compiled and running
> although it will not run the Open GL component - something to follow up on.
> My final problems have been with paths, shared libraries and the like but
> I'm making progress.  I'm going to stop for a bit and rewrite all my notes
> including various suggestions from contributors to my dilemma so I can
> recreate this again.
>
> My own little test program fails with a gazillion link errors so obviously I
> haven't got the paths sorted yet.  Kind of reminds me of my days at uni in
> the 80's running pascal compilation assignments on the mainframe and having
> to collective the pages of error printout the next day.  I was so pleased
> when the college started Turbo Pascal.
>
> Thanks again for all your help.

In the Debian Policy for Ada, I strongly recommend you use a project
file for your program.  Since you use GtkAda, look at the comments in
/usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2.gpr: these will tell you how to
write your own project file.

If you follow these guidelines and still have problems, that would be
a good time to start posting detailed error messages so we can help
you further.

As for the OpenGL component: it requires not only libgtkada-gl-2.8
(which you probably have installed already) but also it requires
hardware support depending on your particular graphics card, the
proper display driver, and the Mesa libraries (which you probably have
installed already, since libgtkada-gl-2.8 depends on them).  If OpenGL
is critically important to you, tell us about your hardware.  You may
also be interested in http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-09-03 11:26                 ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2007-09-03 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In the Debian Policy for Ada, I strongly recommend you use a project
> file for your program.  Since you use GtkAda, look at the comments in
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2.gpr: these will tell you how to
> write your own project file.
>
> If you follow these guidelines and still have problems, that would be
> a good time to start posting detailed error messages so we can help
> you further.
>
> As for the OpenGL component: it requires not only libgtkada-gl-2.8
> (which you probably have installed already) but also it requires
> hardware support depending on your particular graphics card, the
> proper display driver, and the Mesa libraries (which you probably have
> installed already, since libgtkada-gl-2.8 depends on them).  If OpenGL
> is critically important to you, tell us about your hardware.  You may
> also be interested in http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

The project file did the trick and my little test window program now
compiles, links and runs.  It hung on exit but that's another story.  I
suspect there is cleanup code missing from the autogenerated code.  Now I
can start experimenting with events/signals to get a better understanding on
how to do this with a windowed ada program.

wrt Open GL: at this point I'm not overly interested in graphics at this
point since my target application is mostly text manipulation and data
transmission.

I guess my main problem throughout this exercise is a lack of understanding
of how the Linux environment works.  I'm still looking for a simple primer
on the topic.  As an example it took me a while to figure out how to use
ldconfig properly.

I'd like to close off this thread as I have achieved my original aim.
Thanks again for your help.

Rgds Paul

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-09-03 11:47                   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-09-03 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul writes:
[success]
> I guess my main problem throughout this exercise is a lack of understanding
> of how the Linux environment works.  I'm still looking for a simple primer
> on the topic.  As an example it took me a while to figure out how to use
> ldconfig properly.

You don't normally have to run ldconfig. I think you wandered too far.
As far as
Ada is concerned, I think the Debian Policy for Ada is the closest
thing to a primer
you can get. Of course, you need to complement that with the
documentation for GNAT
(http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.2/gnat_ugn_unw/).

For a general introduction to Linux and Unix-like systems in general,
I don't have
a specific recommendation because I learned in 1994 and whatever
documents I
read then are probably obsolete now :) Anyone else?

> I'd like to close off this thread as I have achieved my original aim.
> Thanks again for your help.

You're welcome. Don't hesitate to open a new thread if you have any
more problems.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada on Linux
@ 2007-09-03 12:17                   ` Poul-Erik Andreasen
From: Poul-Erik Andreasen @ 2007-09-03 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul wrote:
> "Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote in message
>
>> In the Debian Policy for Ada, I strongly recommend you use a project
>> file for your program.  Since you use GtkAda, look at the comments in
>> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2.gpr: these will tell you how to
>> write your own project file.
>>
>> If you follow these guidelines and still have problems, that would be
>> a good time to start posting detailed error messages so we can help
>> you further.
>>
>> As for the OpenGL component: it requires not only libgtkada-gl-2.8
>> (which you probably have installed already) but also it requires
>> hardware support depending on your particular graphics card, the
>> proper display driver, and the Mesa libraries (which you probably have
>> installed already, since libgtkada-gl-2.8 depends on them).  If OpenGL
>> is critically important to you, tell us about your hardware.  You may
>> also be interested in http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/.
>>
>> --
>> Ludovic Brenta.
>
> The project file did the trick and my little test window program now
> compiles, links and runs.  It hung on exit but that's another story.  I
> suspect there is cleanup code missing from the autogenerated code.  Now I
> can start experimenting with events/signals to get a better understanding on
> how to do this with a windowed ada program.
>
> wrt Open GL: at this point I'm not overly interested in graphics at this
> point since my target application is mostly text manipulation and data
> transmission.
>
> I guess my main problem throughout this exercise is a lack of understanding
> of how the Linux environment works.  I'm still looking for a simple primer
> on the topic.  As an example it took me a while to figure out how to use
> ldconfig properly.
>
> I'd like to close off this thread as I have achieved my original aim.
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Rgds Paul

This may bee the place to look for you:

http://www.oopweb.com/Ada/Documents/AdaLinux/VolumeFrames.html?/Ada/Documents/AdaLinux/Volume/book.html