From: johnp789@yahoo.com (John Pitney)
Subject: Specialization of generics
Date: 3 Jun 2001 17:17:34 -0700
Date: 2001-06-04T00:17:34+00:00	[thread overview]

Hello from an Ada newcomer!  I'm an experimental physicist with a C/C++
background learning Ada (using GNAT on GNU/Linux on Intel) for use in
numerics and possibly instrument control.

Now the question: Is it possible to define a generic package taking
one or more types as generic formal parameters, and then define that
the generic is instantiated in a different way if the generic formal
parameters match some condition?  One application I could think of
would be for an image package to handle 1-bit images in a compact way.

The comp.lang.ada group seems great so far---I've enjoyed lurking for
the last few months!

John

--
John Pitney