* Full-featured free Ada 95/2005 compiler?
@ 2007-07-13 22:20 interpretarian
From: interpretarian @ 2007-07-13 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Is it ever going to be possible to have all the language features of
Ada 95/2005 (including the Systems, Real-Time and Security annexes)
available in a free compiler, or will one have to pay money to be able
to do everything? It looks like the Security and Real-Time annexes are
always going to be proprietary. Any thoughts?

* Re: Full-featured free Ada 95/2005 compiler?
@ 2007-07-14  8:18 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-07-14  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

interpretarian wrote:

> Is it ever going to be possible to have all the language features of
> Ada 95/2005 (including the Systems, Real-Time and Security annexes)
> available in a free compiler, or will one have to pay money to be able
> to do everything? It looks like the Security and Real-Time annexes are
> always going to be proprietary. Any thoughts?

You are aware that the  Real-Time-Annex will only work on a real time OS.
Well there is some work done on GNAT to support a subset of the
Real-Time-Annex on Linux - but it is only a sub-set because some features
just need OS support.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: Full-featured free Ada 95/2005 compiler?
@ 2007-07-14  8:35 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-07-14  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: interpretarian

interpretarian a �crit :
> Is it ever going to be possible to have all the language features of
> Ada 95/2005 (including the Systems, Real-Time and Security annexes)
> available in a free compiler, or will one have to pay money to be able
> to do everything? It looks like the Security and Real-Time annexes are
> always going to be proprietary. Any thoughts?

Have you looked at GNAT ?

It is a free and open source compiler which implements all the annexes.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: Full-featured free Ada 95/2005 compiler?
@ 2007-07-20  2:04   ` interpretarian
From: interpretarian @ 2007-07-20  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Messers Obry and Krischik,

Thank you for replying to my inquiry.

Mr. Obry,

On GNAT, I think I made a presumption that some features of the
language were unavailable on the GPL Edition. On the Libre site, I
found a chart which made me think that mission critical features of
Ada were not supported by GNAT GPL https://libre.adacore.com/dynamic/comp_chart.html
. Am I in error?

Mr. Krischik,

Is it such that one must compile Ada with Real-Time systems features
on an RTOS or merely execute it on one?

I'm simply trying to verify the full range of options out there for
Ada development (outside of a very high budget).

Thanks again,

Mark Genevieve

* Re: Full-featured free Ada 95/2005 compiler?
@ 2007-07-20  6:14     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-07-20  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

interpretarian schrieb:

> Is it such that one must compile Ada with Real-Time systems features
> on an RTOS or merely execute it on one?

Most RT work is done using a cross compiler. That is: the compiler runs
on a desktop OS and only the linked program is deployed to a RT OS.

> I'm simply trying to verify the full range of options out there for
> Ada development (outside of a very high budget).

You should have been in Geneva there where some nice speeches in RT and Ada.

One interesting option was GNAT + a MaRTE OS guest on a Linux host. If I
understood the speaker right it's just a matter of using the right
configure / compiler options on an up-to-date GNAT.

Martin
--

@ 2007-07-20 10:11     ` anon
From: anon @ 2007-07-20 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnat Pro has extented specifications to meet the DO-178B Level A
certification for writting program for Avionics systems which the GPL
does not do.  This is done by adding extra packages and coding
standards that the Standard Ada does not have.

The government of most counties have agreed that all programs for
Avionics must meet the DO-178B Level A certification. Most people
who use GPL GNAT does not need this level of reliability even if they
use Ada on a real-time environment.

Plus, the DO-178B certification is only use for Avionics. There are other
standards for medical and military and even nuclears power plants that
GNAT Pro does not have. So unless you are writting an Avionics system
you do not need the DO-178B certification packages. Then again if you
do need the DO-178B standard, the company for insurance reasons
would pickup the tab for the GNAT Pro.

The DO-178B certification package is not free and is one of a few
reasons that explains why GNAT Pro is so costly!