From: "Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Strange story with Ada validation
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 23:47:24 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2010-02-07T23:47:24-08:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

A bit randomly, I've landed on document talking about an “ AJPO end of
mission ”.
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/ajpofaq.html#mirror

and particularly on a quote :
<<
Q. What about compiler validation? Wasn't this one of AJPO's main
responsibilities?
A. Yes, as required by DoDD 3405.1 (1987). But this directive was
rescinded on April 29, 1997, and DoD's requirement for AJPO-validated
compilers was never reinstated, as AJPO had anticipated. The ACVC is
freely available for any interested party to use as they see fit, but
the official DoD Ada validation procedures and requirements no longer
exist.

There is a link in the HTML version of the latter quote (about the
rescinded directive), pointing to
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/oasd497.html
but which is just talking about the end of the requirement from the
DoD to use Ada for all software projects (this does not talk about
validation at all).

I had always though the AJPO was responsible of Ada compilers
validation and certifications. It seems I was driven into error by
historical documents I was believing to be up to date (from place to
place, I use to see the web site of this and this compiler vendor
proudly announcing the AJPO had validated its product).

Is still Ada a trademark of the DoD ?
Is still the validation a formal requirement ?
If yes (I suppose it is, while I may be wrong after all), who his
requesting it ?

Sorry if these ever seems to be clumsy idiot questions