* "Ada at Barco Avionics" presentation now on Ada-Belgium site
@ 2007-06-16  7:16 Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2007-06-16  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

                        Post-event announcements

      A d a - B e l g i u m   r e c e n t l y   o r g a n i z e d

                      a technical presentation by
               Ludovic Brenta of Barco Avionics, Belgium

              A d a   a t   B a r c o   A v i o n i c s :

          h i s t o r y ,   c o d i n g   s t a n d a r d s ,

                        a n d   p r o d u c t s

                         Tuesday, June 12, 2007

    <http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/events/local.html>

Mini-report by a participant

On the 12th of June, Ludovic Brenta gave a very interesting talk to
Ada-Belgium on the use of Ada at Barco.
Barco is a leading European supplier of displays and related
technologies.
Ada is used in Barco's avionics products, predominantly cockpit display
and control-display units.
As in all computing the processing power of these devices has risen and
is now enough to support reasonable amount of software.
Typically these devices contain some sort of display software,
communications, exception logging and self test, though the latest
devices have enough processing power to allow other applications to
run in a time sharing configuration.
All of this must be certifiable to the prevailing standard - DO 178B -
and almost all is written in Ada - a few lines of machine code and some
C is used in some cases.
The requirements of certification were outlined and the resulting
constraints on the development team were described.
Barco has developed a coding standard to enable certifiable software
to be written and the rationale of the standard was explained.

Presentation available online

The slides of this technical presentation are available on-line here:
<http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/events/07/070612-abga-event-aba.pdf>
"Ada at Barco Avionics: history, coding standards, and products",
June 2007 (Adobe Portable Document Format, PDF, 2296 KB).

Dirk
Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/-Europe/SIGAda/WG9 mail)

+-------------/  Home: http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk/ada-belgium
|Ada-Belgium /    FTP: ftp://ftp.cs.kuleuven.be/pub/Ada-Belgium
|on Internet/  E-mail: ada-belgium-board@cs.kuleuven.be
+----------/ Maillist: ada-belgium-info-request@cs.kuleuven.be

* Re: "Ada at Barco Avionics" presentation now on Ada-Belgium site
@ 2007-06-16 15:52 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2007-06-16 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Craeynest wrote:

> The slides of this technical presentation are available on-line here:
> <http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/events/07/070612-abga-event-aba.pdf>

Is that a Futurama type bird on page 4? (Please forgive my ignorance.)