* PalmOS cross-compilers
@ 2007-06-01  3:55 Justin Gombos
From: Justin Gombos @ 2007-06-01  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looking at the archives, it seems JGNAT was the only way to run Ada
software on a Palm at one point.  Then later there were reports of
JGNAT falling out of date, and not working well with the newer Java
virtual machines.

So are there any better options now?

Someone hinted recently that the Ada runtime engine is not available
for Ada implementations running on PalmOS.  How is that possible?
What compiler is that?

--
PM instructions: do a C4esar Ciph3r on my address; retain punctuation.

* Re: PalmOS cross-compilers
@ 2007-06-01 10:18 ` Markus E Leypold
From: Markus E Leypold @ 2007-06-01 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Looking at the archives, it seems JGNAT was the only way to run Ada
> software on a Palm at one point.  Then later there were reports of
> JGNAT falling out of date, and not working well with the newer Java
> virtual machines.
>
> So are there any better options now?
>
> Someone hinted recently that the Ada runtime engine is not available
> for Ada implementations running on PalmOS.  How is that possible?
> What compiler is that?

Perhaps one presently not maintained on or targetted for PalmOS ? ;-)

Regards -- Markus

* Re: PalmOS cross-compilers
@ 2007-06-01 11:45 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2007-06-01 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Gombos wrote:
> Looking at the archives, it seems JGNAT was the only way to run Ada
> software on a Palm at one point.  Then later there were reports of
> JGNAT falling out of date, and not working well with the newer Java
> virtual machines.
>
> So are there any better options now?

If you want an Ada -> JVM compiler that is more up to date
you can try AppletMagic. An Ada -> readable C solution is also
available; don't know how much tasking it supports.

* Re: PalmOS cross-compilers
@ 2007-06-02 12:35 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2007-06-02 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Gombos <rpbkbq.xax.gld@uluv.kbq> writes:

> Looking at the archives, it seems JGNAT was the only way to run Ada
> software on a Palm at one point.  Then later there were reports of
> JGNAT falling out of date, and not working well with the newer Java
> virtual machines.
>
> So are there any better options now?
>
> Someone hinted recently that the Ada runtime engine is not available
> for Ada implementations running on PalmOS.  How is that possible?
> What compiler is that?

Since GCC targets the Palm, you can easily build the GCC Ada compiler
for the Palm, but without the run-time system.

However, 'pragma No_Run_Time' seems to be gone in current versions of
GNAT. I don't know if 'pragma Profile (Restricted)' will let you use
this compiler without a run-time.

You can find out at link time if you've written code that needs the
run-time. Just like C :).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: PalmOS cross-compilers
@ 2007-06-02 20:36   ` Markus E Leypold
From: Markus E Leypold @ 2007-06-02 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> However, 'pragma No_Run_Time' seems to be gone in current versions of
> GNAT.

How convenient considering that the run time is GPL and all the
implications that has (as we discussed last year ...). How very very
intresting.

> I don't know if 'pragma Profile (Restricted)' will let you use
> this compiler without a run-time.

Let's hope. :-).

> You can find out at link time if you've written code that needs the
> run-time. Just like C :).

Not funny :-(.

Regards -- Markus