From: awdorrin <awdorrin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: astyle/cindent for Ada?
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:27:45 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-07-31T07:27:45-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, July 27, 2012 1:45:35 PM UTC-4, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> awdorrin writes:
>
> > I have tried using the 'gnatpp' program - but under Debian Linux it
> > keeps telling me that my files aren't valid Ada source (even though
> > they compile fine)
>
> Please report this immediately to the Debian bug tracking system.  If
> this bug is serious enough I might be able to correct it before the next
> stable release is made; it is currently frozen and only release-critical
> bugs can be solved at this point.
>
> --
>
> Ludovic Brenta.

Unfortunately I have been out with a stomach bug the past few days and have not had a chance until today to look at this further.

If I try to run gnatpp against a simple program - it does work. It seems that it is the legacy code that it is having difficulty with.

There are some warnings about a repspec for a Florist/POSIX Mutex variable:

'size of "LOCK_ERROR" with aliased or tagged components not 192 bits'

The related code for the Mutex definition is similar to the following:

type FP_SHARED_BUF_TYPE is
record
  LOCK_ERROR : POSIX.Mutexes.Mutex;
  <other entries for the record>
end record;

for FP_SHARED_BUF_TYPE use
record
  LOCK_ERROR at 0 range 0 .. 255;
  <other entries for the record>
end record;

I don't know if the warnings are causing 'gnatpp' to respond with: 'is not a legal Ada source' or not.

passing the verbose flag to gnatpp doesn't seem to provide any additional information. Are there any 'hidden' flags that could provide more detail?

I appear to be using:

- asis-programs Version 2008-5
- gnatpp (build with ASIS 2.0.R for gnat 4.4.5)
- gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8)

Since gnatpp does appear to work on simple Ada source code, but not my legacy source code, I'm hesitant to post a bug report, without digging into this further. (Since I know I can't provide any copy of the source code files causing the error.)