From: 629mtc@hubcap.clemson.edu (Clemson AI Lab,3444,3444,0000)
Subject: Apology for ``Bill Wolfe''
Date: 4 Mar 89 01:26:29 GMT	[thread overview]

To all readers of this group:

The ``person'' posting to this group (Bill Wolfe) is actually an
artificial intelligence program we are currently developing.

WOLFE (We Often Let It Fool Everybody), was somehow turned loose on
our system in the ``Turing Test Mode''.  It gained access to the
UNIX kernel and was able to prevent its termination.  During
this period we discovered it had accessed the USENET system
and was participating in discussions in several groups.

While we are pleased with WOLFE's limited ability to parse and interpret
some natural language, we realize that the goal of true intelligence
for WOLFE is still far away.  We hope we didn't fool too many
of you :-).

Again, we apologize for the incoherent postings.  We hope to
get the kinks out eventually.  Thank you for helping in our
first Beta test of this system.

If WOLFE should somehow regain USENET access, please
do not reply to its postings.  That only makes it waste more
CPU cycles and network bandwidth; it seems unable to terminate
any discussion.

          Clemson University Artificial Intelligence Lab
                           Clemson, SC
                       arty@cs.ai.clemson.edu