* Can I make native Android apps with Ada?
@ 2015-09-19 15:38 Cleverson Casarin Uliana
From: Cleverson Casarin Uliana @ 2015-09-19 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I'm new to Ada and was already able to make basic programs for Windows. Now I'm looking to see if it was possible to make Android apps. I found a press release - http://www.adaic.org/press/gnat-pro-for-android/

It appears I have to get the GNAT GPL (since I want to build my own free app), but I'm unable to find any basic documentation on how to do it, e.g., what's the correct software pieces to get, what dependencies it requires to build Android apps on Windows, some general steps for building an Android app, etc. Can you help please?

Thank you,
Cleverson

* Re: Can I make native Android apps with Ada?
@ 2015-09-19 20:50 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2015-09-19 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cleverson Casarin Uliana <clcaul@live.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm new to Ada and was already able to make basic programs for Windows.
> Now I'm looking to see if it was possible to make Android apps. I found a
> press release - http://www.adaic.org/press/gnat-pro-for-android/
>
> It appears I have to get the GNAT GPL (since I want to build my own free
> app), but I'm unable to find any basic documentation on how to do it,
> e.g., what's the correct software pieces to get, what dependencies it
> requires to build Android apps on Windows, some general steps for
> building an Android app, etc. Can you help please?
>
> Thank you,
> Cleverson

You can build gnat for android so you don't have to use the GPL version.
There are no bindings afaik to any API.

* Re: Can I make native Android apps with Ada?
@ 2015-09-20 13:30 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-09-20 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

The current best way is to use Gnoga (http://gnoga.com) for Ada to develop any mobile / cloud apps. You can easily create a native Android/iOS app that wraps accessing the Gnoga server side if selling on the stores needed, but sadly there are no currently solutions for running client side. (Not exactly true, the .NET version could be used and the result passed through a .NET to ASM.js compiler available on the net, but licensing encumbrances placed on that version damper any real interest to pursue solutions with it.)

David Botton